Why was 600m chosen as a target distance?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Hasaf, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hasaf

Hasaf Active Member

Last night I was talking to a co-worker about sporting use of the AR-15 platform and I mentioned 600m target. He later asked me a question that I was unable to answer, why was 600m chosen as a distance for target shooting?
    EDIT: Should read yards

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
    carver likes this.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

600 m ?
    NRA Hi-Power Competition uses targets at 200, 300 and 600 YARDS.

carver, drymag and BlackEagle like this.

3. Hasaf

Hasaf Active Member

Sorry, meant yards, I tend to think in meters. In particular, I was think of the CMP (civilian marksmanship program) competition..

carver and drymag like this.
  4. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

They did it, because they could.

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

When I was shooting competition with the US Army way back in the early 70s, it was 600 meters NOT yards and it was know as a 600m KD range. It stood for 600 meter Known Distance. We shot with the M-14, not the M-16!

goofy, carver and drymag like this.
  6. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

My guess would be is because of the maximum effective range that each of the service rifles fired. The m16 had a maximum effective range of 600 yards, the M14 had a 500 yard effective range and the M1 was 440 yards. This of course using iron sights. Just my 2 cents and no proof.

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The maximum effective range of a Garand is 440 yards? That's a tad unbelievable.

As for the 600 number, I read somewhere, years and years ago, that regular GI ball ammo (not AP) had to be able to penetrate both sides of a GI steel pot at 600 yards.

Maybe the penetration requirement carried over into targetting. I mean, heck, if you can't HIT IT at 600, how do you know it will penetrate?

8. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Agree. Our DCM Matches at Camp Smith back in NY were fired using the Garand at 200yds. standing, 300yds. sitting or kneeling, and 600yds. prone.

9. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I would think w/ some of the higher twists and newer bullets that one could readily do 600 yards in a service rifle. But is the service rifle for competition limited to 1:9, 1:10 stuff or can it spread out to 1:7-8 or even 223 wylde, etc?

carver likes this.
  10. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Just quoting printed literature:http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id1.html

Most of the stuff printed as effective range did not really apply to the fatality of the cartridge itself at those distances, I believe it had to do more with the fact of the skill of the shooter using iron sights. When I was in the army we had to qualify with the M16 and we had to engage targets out to 400 yards without a scope. Snipers were the only one that had scopes at the time. Heck I know for a fact that the M16 can reach out and touch someone beyond 600 yds.

Hasaf and carver like this.
  11. Hasaf

Hasaf Active Member

Great link! Thanks.

(of course, I really don't think my question is fully answered unless similar link can be posted that shows something at the other distances)

ms6852 likes this.