Why 'xxx' part of a serial number?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hkruss, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I notice that sometimes when people are listing a serial number of a gun, they will substitute the last three numbers with 'xxx'. What purpose does this serve? I always figured what does showing the complete serial number hurt? I saw a post on another forum here that basically recommended the poster not show all the numbers to keep anonymity. My question is, 'from what'? Could someone explain in greater detail why this is important?
    I'm genuinely curious about this one!!

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you want the complete serial # of your favorite firearm online in public view ??

3. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

It's not paranoia if its real!!
    First digits revealed to show age approx.

4. 94z07

94z07 New Member

There are people with an anti-gun agenda or other motivation who could call in the description and SN of a gun as stolen just for giggles. That gun would then go on a list that may make it difficult to ever sell the gun again. "Oh I see you have no proof of the chain of ownership from the time the gun was created until now?" *yank* b-bye gun.

5. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Ahhhhh! Never thought of that! Thanks.

I wish I were smarter!!! DOH!