Wilson shock buffers

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/01 1:57:26 pm)
    Reply Wilson Shock Buffers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just received a package of Wilson Shock buffers for my Colt Commander and "Frankensteine" It even came with installation instructions. My question is: The package stated that the buffers should or/are to be used with a heavy spring, I didn, purchase a special Wilson or heavy spring, will this make a difference or cause damage or injury! Thanks for any input.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/14/01 3:13:11 pm)
    Reply Re: Wilson Shock Buffers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blackgun, If your spring works ok with 230 gr. ammo, just install buffs and shoot. The springs should last about 5000 rounds. Replace, if necessary, with a Wolf 18 or 20 lb. Commander spring.

M Opaliski
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/14/01 3:34:49 pm)
    Re: Wilson Shock Buffers
    As Sam said, you should be fine with what you have. Check the buffer when you clean and replace as needed. The buffers should last a while as well, I've had the same one in my KZ-45 for what is going on 2,500 rounds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

rayra
    (7/29/01 5:07:54 am)
    if your spring is weak or tired, you'll chew the buffers up right away, that's all.
    But that's a side issue, really. For a standard .45 you should have an 18-18.5Lb spring.
    If you shoot competitively, and feed your pistol a steady diet of the same loads, it would be worth the small expense to buy a range of spring weights and 'tune' your piece.
    If you're experiencing failures to feed (or chamber), or the slide doesn't fully return to lock-up position, it could be a weak(ened) spring. Lots of other factors contribute, but the spring is contributory.

rich

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/29/01 2:24:41 pm)
    Will someone explain to me why a 18lb spring is recommended
    when the factory standard is 16lb..
    Is it not true that too heavy a recoil spring can cause as much damage as too light a spring ??
    No other type of handgun do you see the swapping of springs,most owners just use what the maker provides and
    go happily along .. Just curious
    Must say I am guilty of changing springs also,but tend to go lighter because of lighter loads..

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/29/01 5:55:33 pm)
    With the shock buff installed, Wilson recommendes a stronger spring. Especially when using defenseive loads. Therefore the 18 lb. spring. After installing the shock buff, I went from a 14 lb. to a 16 lb. spring. It works.

rayra
    (7/30/01 12:00:48 am)
    I was steered (during my first yr shooting IPSC) to a heavier spring when I was having feeding problems with LSWC bullets on my then-stock Colt .45.
    Have since had the ramp & throat work done, too, problem gone.

spring, shock buff, full length guide rods - none of them are 'magic bullets', per se, just some of the aftermarket toys available for a 90yr-old design.
    most newer designs incorporate many fixes in their original models, thus they are better 'out of the box'.

rich