The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22ammo is pretty scarce out there right now. I was able to get a box of the bulk Win. ammo marked 555. It's 36gr. plated HP.
It seems to be longer then round nose ammo. At least, in my guns it seems that way. I tried it in 3 rifles and a Ruger pistol. I had alot of feeding problems with it. I could shoot round nose 40gr. without problems, but not the Win.
I may have to buy a .22 revolver and see if it works okay in there, but it just wasn't reliable in any of my guns. I'll be glad when there's a good selection of ammo on the shelves again.

· Registered
3,585 Posts
Can't say that I've had problems with the current Winchester bulk .22lr, whether in the 555 or 333 round boxes.
I've had good luck with them in my 597, 77/22, and the old 572...knock on wood!
Our 572 and my 77/22 do prefer the Federal bulk ammo over the Winchester stuff accuracy-wise but it is dirtier.

Never set them side by side to compare COAL, but I haven't bought any plain 40gr round nose in quite a few years. They just don't work all that hot on critters. Last time I used solids in one of the .22s, I emptied a 10rd clip into a rabid skunk and it was still moving.

Hope you find something that works for ya!

· Registered
2,023 Posts
I bought two boxes of the Winchester 555 round .22 LR and have fired about 300 rounds without any problems. I have the Ruger Mark II pistol and a Ruger 10/22 rifle. In the past I had problems with some ammo not feeding and when I changed magazines the problems went away.

I have three (off brand) 25 round mags for the 10/22 and they are the pits. The gun jams about every third round when I try to use one of them. If I switch to the factory 10 round mag the problems go away. It's the same with the cheap (off brand) Ruger Mark II mags. They just will not feed reliably and I had to stop using them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.