The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out with info. I recently came into possession of my late uncle's favorite hunting rifle (Win Model 670A bolt action chambered in 243). I like to save pictures and catalog as much info as I can about the guns I own. I am finding it surprisingly difficult to date this rifle based on model and SN, I can't seem to find a definitive listing anywhere for this specific model. He bought most of his firearms in the 50's-70's so I feel pretty sure it's in that range although he would occasionally buy or trade one from an individual. I know the 670 was a cheaper version of the Model 70 but it does have nice solid checkered stock and a two-position safety. It also has an internal push-fed magazine that I have no experience with. It's in great condition, he always took great care of his guns.

The serial number starts with a G and is 6-digits, starting with 165XXX

He always shot lights out with this gun, and I'm going to hunt with it starting this fall and in doing so retiring my old favorite Rem 788 in .243. I'm going to keep his old Bushnell 3x8 Banner scope on it for a while for nostalgic purposes. I was also able to score his 1957 Marlin 336RC in 30-30 and I can't wait to use that one either!! It's hard to tell how many whitetails fell between these two rifles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
See post#7 and disregard this post.
Post 1964 push feed model 70 serial numbers are absolute chaos. The 670A was NOT serial numbered in the Model 70 blocks. '68 Gun Control act required a letter in the serial number, so they started at G700,000 in 1969.

·
Super Moderator
46,420 Posts
Post 1964 push feed model 70 serial numbers are absolute chaos. The 670A was serial numbered in the Model 70 blocks. '68 Gun Control act required a letter in the serial number, so they started at G700,000 in 1969. Early 1990's they started over, and best I can tell, yours was made in 1996.
Trapp, I know this is a silly question, but did they do serial number based on caliber? I have one in 30.06 that my wife bought me for my first anniversary in 1972, SN G167024 which is way below the G700K you mentioned.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
George, the first 10,000 went to the custom shop. "may have" got a different sequence, the "Classic" came out, and another sequence, and it continues. Every time I try to figure it out, the only thing I get is a headache! Pre '64, no problem. Post 64, headache. The 670A was an "econo" version of the 70, and I'm not 100% sure that some, all, or any, don't have their own sequence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
George, the first 10,000 went to the custom shop. "may have" got a different sequence, the "Classic" came out, and another sequence, and it continues. Every time I try to figure it out, the only thing I get is a headache! Pre '64, no problem. Post 64, headache. The 670A was an "econo" version of the 70, and I'm not 100% sure that some, all, or any, don't have their own sequence.
Thanks for the info. I feel pretty sure he had this rifle longer than since 1996. But obviously this isn't an exact science and I can't guarantee it. He did occasionally buy or trade private so I guess it's possible it's a newer gun. I wonder if there's some other way to tell??

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
Thanks for the info. I feel pretty sure he had this rifle longer than since 1996. But obviously this isn't an exact science and I can't guarantee it. He did occasionally buy or trade private so I guess it's possible it's a newer gun. I wonder if there's some other way to tell??
Serial numbers are an exact science in most cases.I can show you 2 Porsches ,look identical--because of serial numbers 1 is worth 125k the other 45k....same with firearms,I;ve traced a run of 15 MGs from 1916 to then80s.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Okay, I have researched this until my eyes crossed, and got a headache!
The Model 670 was introduced in 1966 at serial number 100,000, and produced to 1979. In 1969 the G prefix was added. In 1972 the "A" was added to the model number to indicate a change in production. The change, was from the 2 position safety, to a Model 70 3 position safety. A small number of 670's were released in late 1971/early 1972 with the 3 position safety, before they were marked "670A". Still looking for a serial number database for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I have researched this until my eyes crossed, and got a headache!
The Model 670 was introduced in 1966 at serial number 100,000, and produced to 1979. In 1969 the G prefix was added. In 1972 the "A" was added to the model number to indicate a change in production. The change, was from the 2 position safety, to a Model 70 3 position safety. A small number of 670's were released in late 1971/early 1972 with the 3 position safety, before they were marked "670A". Still looking for a serial number database for them.
Sorry for the headache o_O I really thought someone would say oh here's a site where you can plug in your SN or here's an easy way to tell by the number, etc. But I had already looked for such a thing before coming here and trying. This has become the only firearm in my collection of about 25 that ever had such a problem. The dates and years you listed above though do approximate what I would expect. Also, I thought it just had a two position safety until I read this, so I started fiddling with it and sure enough it does have a middle position, making 3. I went right past it the first time.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Well there's a plus side, we both learned something new today!
By the math, Made for 14 years, "with possible exception of 1974 when they weren't cataloged". 287,648 produced. Approximately 20,546 made per year. Serial numbers started at 100,000, so yours was the 65,xxx made. That would put it made in 1969/70, correct for the G prefix, but 2 years before the 670A was made. I"m giving up!
I did find where the 670 started getting the 670A safety as early as August of 1971.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I truly do appreciate the discussion here. I don't NEED to know the exact year it was made to hunt with it :) I just wasn't imagining it to be this complicated lol. Maybe it will help someone else at some point. I come from a long line of outdoorsmen and I have favorite hunting rifles owned by my grandfather, uncle, father, and my own. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there's a plus side, we both learned something new today!
By the math, Made for 14 years, "with possible exception of 1974 when they weren't cataloged". 287,648 produced. Approximately 20,546 made per year. Serial numbers started at 100,000, so yours was the 65,xxx made. That would put it made in 1969/70, correct for the G prefix, but 2 years before the 670A was made. I"m giving up!
I did find where the 670 started getting the 670A safety as early as August of 1971.
It might make sense that if production tailed off the average for a couple of years that the number sequence might have gotten pushed into the magical time period that would make it right. I dunno. I'm not trying to shoehorn it into the answer I want because the family connection is more important to me but I really do believe he got this piece right about in this time period. Unfortunately it's a little too late to ask him now.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
It might make sense that if production tailed off the average for a couple of years that the number sequence might have gotten pushed into the magical time period that would make it right.
I was thinking that too as a possibility. I have all the pre 64 Polishing Room Records where the serial was applied, and is the actual date of manufacture. Going down the list of years for any model, the majority have years where there could be 65K produced, and the following year the production is a single digit. During the WWII years, many models were put on hold, and resumed production after. There's even a few, that production ended, and 4 or 5 yrs later, 1 to 10 were made.
It's strange that as convoluted that the post 64 Model 70 data is, there's still a data base available, but not for the 670.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to put a bow on this conversation, on a whim I sent an email to [email protected] indicating my model and SN. Here is the reply I received from [email protected], note there is no indication about HOW they arrived at the year of manufacture, but it squares with much of what's been said here, and is frankly good enough for me. I also note something else TRAP55 wrote in a previous response above, "with possible exception of 1974 when they weren't cataloged".

From [email protected]:

Thank you for your email. After looking further behind your serial number offered, we found that your Model 670A was manufactured in 1974.
Sincerely,

Winchester Customer Service
-JO

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Trapp, I know this is a silly question, but did they do serial number based on caliber? I have one in 30.06 that my wife bought me for my first anniversary in 1972, SN G167024 which is way below the G700K you mentioned.
And George's rifle was bought in 1972, but it's 2000 rifles newer? I wonder what would happen if the ATF checked their records.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts