The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello I'm trying to get a honest opinion on this gun as to what it's worth and if it looks to be all original? I know it says it's sold but I've got a deposit on this gun. Seller claims that it's all original and untouched wood and all. Anyhow I would appreciate an experts opinion with the photos that are given. thanks

link below

http://www.winchesterway.com/index

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello,

It is original, and it has not been refinished or altered in any way. It appears to be a nice clean 1873 Sporting Rifle. It is worth at least $5K.

Bert H.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank god because thats what im paying my favorite rifle of all time and I just wanted a nice gun to hold onto. Thanks Bert!!! I feel content on my decision!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a gun that is around the same condition roughly how much value difference are there going to the 44 40 or down to the 32 20? Just approximately?

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you had three identical condition 3rd variation standard Sporting Rifles (say in 70% graded condition), one in each caliber, I have them valued accordingly (in "The RED BOOK of WINCHESTER Values");

44 W.C.F. = $8675
38 W.C.F. = $6945
32 W.C.F. = $5340

Bert H.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So for the above gun that you looked at for me, what condition as to percentage would it be at in your personal opinion? Thanks for helping me with this also! Give or take roughly?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I grade it at 60%. Strangley, it is a fair amount of bluing loss on the upper part of the barrel. At 60%, I have it listed at $5800 in my book.

Bert H.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I thought the same thing, he said it looks worse because the flash from camera was washing or reflecting some of the bluing. I appreciate your help! Once I get this rifle in hand ill be back with some better pictures hopefully in daylight and give me your opinion once again. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts