The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody care to give a guess on this rifle? I have a "letter" coming on it. Was made in 1885 has a 30 inch oct. barrel, also a single set trigger.Will post some pics. if i can. I was given this rifle to me from a older uncle, guess my great grandad had it in east texas. Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
What is the caliber? The magazine tube looks like .32-20 or .25-20, but I could be wrong. If so, those calibers don't bring as much as the .38 or .44 calibers.

At that date, the gun would be the Third Model, the most common variation. With the stipulation that I can see only part of the gun, I would a value of around $1700, but better pictures might alter that.

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the caliber? The magazine tube looks like .32-20 or .25-20, but I could be wrong. If so, those calibers don't bring as much as the .38 or .44 calibers.

At that date, the gun would be the Third Model, the most common variation. With the stipulation that I can see only part of the gun, I would a value of around $1700, but better pictures might alter that.

Jim
It is a 38--40 cal.Does the trigger setup and the longer barrel make much difference on value? Terry

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello Terry,

Ordinarily, the extra length barrel and the set trigger would add a significant premium to the collector value. However, due to the relatively low graded condition of your rifle, the value is not that great.

Specifically, your Model 1873 Sporting Rifle has a heavy patina on all of the steel parts, and it has considerable wear & tear throughout. Most Model 1873 collectors would not be interested in it unless the price was right ($1500 - $1700).

Bert H.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts