The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,391 Posts
I hope Bert H. will come along and help on that one; he is the expert. The lower tang of the single shot normally has the serial number. But that lower tang looks an awful lot like the upper tang of a 92 or 94 rifle with the model number deliberately erased.

I think someone really played games with that rifle, maybe taking a real junker and building it up from bits and pieces, then doing some crude engraving and plating to cover up the mess. Pending a reply from Bert or another expert in those single shot rifles, I would not fire it with any cartridge.

Jim

· Registered
6,391 Posts
Well, we might see what others say, but yes, I would call it fairly crude, certainly not up to factory engraving standards. I have not run any searches on the engraver's name but you might want to do that and see what comes up. I have the feeling that the engraving is not at all old, but maybe the search can turn up something.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.