The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help in identify a Winchester 1885 low wall that recently came into my possession. I have look around on the internet without much luck in identifying it. The rifle is a Winchester 1885 low wall chambered in 25-20 in take down configuration. The serial number is 1076XX, weaver scope that has been in stalled on it and the barrel length is 22 3/8 inches.

The original owner of this rifle was a lawyer in the central Virginia area and was a Past Master of the Freemasons during the 1930's. What I have been having trouble with is finding any information for low wall take down models and I would like to know a bit more about the gun, how the take down function works and what it could be worth.

Attachments

· Registered
25 Posts
Your rifle should have a button under the receiver extension that releases the barrel assembly. The barrel assembly is twisted 90 degrees and pulled out of the receiver. Make sure the breech block is lowered before you turn the barrel assembly to remove. The barrel being drilled and tapped for the scope detracts from the value. I see there had once been a peep sight installed on the upper tang. Someone else will have to help you with a value. Bert H can do that.

· Registered
763 Posts
Hello,

Please provide the complete serial number. With it, I can determine the exact date of manufacture, and exactly how that rifle left the factory.

What I can tell you at this point, is that the scope is not original, and the barrel length is not factory original. Additionally, the upper tang screw is not original.

To take it down, slide the serrated button forward (it should click into place), open the lever fully, them twist the barrel assembly counter-clockwise 90-degrees, then pull foreward on the barrel assembly.

Bert H.

· Registered
763 Posts
Bert

The serial number is 107607 thanks for your reply. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
It was originally assembled and shipped In March of 1910 as a 22 Short, 24" octagon barrel. The records do show that it R&R'd on 12/2/1918, but there is no mention made of what was done to it.

The standard barrel length for all of the various .25 caliber center fire cartridges was 28-inches. The barrels were made in even inch increments.

Bert H.

· Registered
763 Posts
Thanks what does R&R'd stand for and any idea as to the value of the gun?
"R&R" is the term Winchester entered in the records when a gun was "Returned" and "Repaired".

Do me a favor and measure the exact barrel length (I suspect that it is longer than you first mentioned). The correct measurement must include the portion of the barrel that is screwed into the receiver frame. With the action open, you will see the breech end of the barrel. Measure from the breech to the muzzle face. That can best be accomplished by closing the action, run a cleaning rod down the bore until it stops on the breech block face, mark and then measure the rod where it intersects the muzzle face. Also, measure the exact distance from muzzle face to the center of the front sight dovetail cut.

Bert H.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you were correct I did not measure it correctly the first time. The length of the barrel from breech to muzzle is 23 3/4 inches and the distance to the center of the dove tail sight is 7/8 inches.

· Registered
763 Posts
That length indicates that the barrel has been shortened (cut down).

One more thing that can be looked at is the underside of the barrel (the part covered by the forend stock). Remove the forestock, and then take a clear picture of all the markings you find on the barrel. There is a chance that the order number associated with the R&R will be marked on the barrel. If it is, that will confirm that the conversion from 22 Short to 25-20 WCF was accomplished by Winchester.

Bert H.

· Registered
763 Posts
Hmmm... The number 65024 is a factory work order number, but unfortunately, it is not the work order number associated with the R&R entry in the warehouse ledger for this rifle (97395). Coupled with the fact that the barrel has been cut down from its original length and has been drilled & tapped for scope mounts, the collector value of your Take Down low-wall Sporting Rifle has been somewhat diminished. Still, it is worth approximately $1500 as is.

Bert H.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.