Winchester 1897 question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by fatalis357, Jul 16, 2020.

1. fatalis357

fatalis357 Member

Hey guys, recently picked up a 1897 in 16 gauge. I am gonna cut the barrel down to 20' in the hopes of making it into a trench gun. This leads me to my question: assuming I can find the bayonet lug, am I still able to attach the lug to a 16 gauge or are they specific for a 12 gauge or does it even matter? Thanks!

2. Wells tiffany fargo

Wells tiffany fargo New Member

Interesting question. I'm sure someone will know

3. fatalis357

fatalis357 Member

I am even trying to locate a bayonet lug and no luck finding any online...

4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Numrich Arms sells them but seem to be out right now.

jim brady likes this.
  6. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Did Winchester ever produce a Trench gun in 16 gauge? Seems a shame to cut up a 1897 16 gauge.

7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not to my knowledge. Encountering Herman the German in no-man's land, or while trench clearing, I'd want a 12ga rather than 16. When the handguard/bayo lugs were available from Numrich I bought one and fitted it to a Chinese Norinco '97 12ga riot gun clone. It was a tight fit on the 12ga. - as it should be, but my guess is it'd be a rather sloppy fit on a 16.

8. fatalis357

fatalis357 Member

I have always disliked long barrels, esp on a shotgun. Thanks for all the replies guys!

BlackEagle and shootbrownelk like this.
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Instead of cutting up a vintage Winchester '97, sell it and buy a Norinco?

10. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I’m with ya in that one Trap. Do as you wish, it’s your gun after all but it is a shame to see another classic gun bite the dust.

11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

At last, words of wisdom. I'm betting the ol '97 is older than fatalis. I really dislike it when classics that haven't been made in 6 or 7 decades, or a lot longer, get botched and butchered.

12. fatalis357

fatalis357 Member

I have the option however when I was reading about them they have a host of problems/ quality isn’t consistent. Unless they have gotten better?

13. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Active Member

I must join the chorus of voices urging you to choose a different gun for this project.

Among the guns in Grandpa’s estate was a 39A Mountie and a 39A. The carbine had a factory scope rail, the 39A was not drilled & tapped.

I bought the carbine and my cousin bought the 39A. My uncle tried really hard to get me to take the rifle instead. Found out later it was because the cousin wanted the easily scoped rifle. He had the 39A drilled and tapped.

I explained to him what he had done to the value. His response, “I’m never going to sell it anyway.”

He just didn't get the point that they don't make 'em like that anymore.

joe45c, Firpo and shootbrownelk like this.
  14. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I've never heard that. I knew a guy back in Wisconsin who duck hunted with a 97. He fed it a steady diet of high brass waterfowl loads for many years without incident. That convinced me, I've been looking for a pristine example ever since, the problem is that almost everyone I come across has been abused or butchered by Bubba. I'll find what I'm looking for at the price I want to pay eventually.

jim brady and joe45c like this.
  15. fatalis357

fatalis357 Member

Y'all are killing me here and making me feel guilty XD. I haven't cut the barrel yet...perhaps Ill wait and see if I can find another 20' or norinco

shootbrownelk and BlackEagle like this.