winchester 1903 22 wrf

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by weasle94, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

I have a nice 1903 Winchester 1903 that takes the oddball 22 wrf cartridges. Been shooting fine for about 2 years and now the gun when it cycles to load a bullet into the chamber it pops up and the bolt hits the side of the cartridge. any ideas what is causing this . took it apart and cleaned and felt for burrs or rough spots . nothing .still the cartridge pops up and does not got into the chamber . Any help would be appreciated

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I have a model 63, which operates the same. I'm having a problem understanding on what for sure is happening. You say the bolt is hitting the side of the cartridge? Is a round in the chamber and a 2nd round comes up and that's the one the bolt hits causing a jam? If that is happening than your cartridge cutoff is wearing out, easy fix. If not than i'm not sure what's allowing the cartridge to turn side ways.Might still have something to do with the cutoff by allowing the round to get into the chamber too early. Not sure.

Broot and Kweeksdraw like this.

3. dcriner

dcriner Active Member

Weasle94: I'm afraid you are misinformed. The Winchester WRF is a totally different cartridge from the Win 22 auto (for the Model 1903). It's 22 Win Auto that you need.

Broot, Firpo and joe45c like this.
  4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Could be why his bolt is hitting the side of his round. Might be using the wrong ammo.

5. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I totally missed that one. Good catch dcriber. When OP started talking about how they started making ammunition again my brain jumped assumed OP was shooting Win .22 Auto ammunition in it. Absolutely not made for .22 WRF. You can order the correct ammo however I fear some repairs may be in order.

And just an aside note, they never stopped making the WRF. even through the .22 drought I could usually pick up a box or two from an LGS.

joe45c likes this.