The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try taking it out & adding a washer.
If you mean what size wrench to use i think it's a slotted bolt head, Takes a long fairly large screwdriver-

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not a screw it's some weird size bolt?? I can't get any sockets on it
Shine a flashlite down the hole- I think you'll see it IS a bolt but has a slot for a screwdriver--Also the head is most likely countersunk so no socket will go on it- Who thought up that design :confused:

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Have you tried a screwdriver? If you don't have one long enough, try the pointed end of your car's lug nut wrench.

Jim

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's a screw, not a bolt, a wrench or any size won't fit it. It's a slotted fillster head screw 1/4 x 28 about six inches long. to remove or tighten the screw you need a common screwdriver at least six inches long with a large blade and it must be fitted into the slot before turning or otherwise wood damage can result.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
That was my recollection, but I wonder if the screw/bolt that is in there now is original. Those stock bolts are not usually available locally, so folks sometimes use what is available, including auto parts, dry wall screws, self-tapping screws, etc.

I would try to get it out, using any available tools, then go from there to get the right part and also see if the threads in the receiver are OK.

Jim

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
It has been a while since I had one of those apart, but I definitely recall that it is round (filister) head bolt* with a straight slot. To refresh my memory, I checked the diagram in Gun Parts catalog, and that is the case.

Fuzebox40, I don't think the "bolt" you picture is original.

*Some folks call anything with a screw driver type head (slot, Phillips, Torx) a "screw" and anything with a square or hex head a "bolt", but most stock retainers like that are called "bolts" regardless of the type of head.

Jim

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I don't doubt it Jim, the hex head was with it but the gun was in disrepair as I received it.
The fillister bolts are a bad idea anyway, often a hastle getting them out.

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
I am with Jim on this :thumbsup:
I checked all the parts books and they ALL Show it is round with a slot in it.The 37A bolt does look the same as the 37 although the pic for the 37A is harder to see the end.
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts