The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gifted a delightful Winchester 61 pump .22 and it shoots like a lazer, so super happy. Unfiortunately about every 3rd round fired the extractor leaves the empty in the barrel. This can easily be pried out with a fingernail, but I sure would like it to be 100% reliable.
My question is how easy is it to repair the extractor assembly? Is it somewhat easy to strip this rifle's internals or is this model best suited to a smithy?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Check (utube disassembly of winchester model 61)

I hope the powers that be do NOT block the reference to UTUBE.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,854 Posts
Reactions: garydude

·
TFF Chaplain
18,854 Posts

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Most likely a weak spring combined with crud in the extractor recess. Don't know if this is still going on, but for many decades people seemed to believe that .22s didn't need much cleaning. I've seen semi-autos so caked with old grease, carbon and lead that the bolts would hardly move - and the owners couldn't understand why they jammed so much.

You may not have to buy any parts (maybe you do) but a complete strip down, cleaning and lightly oiling might just get you back into shooting again. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
I own a 61 and as Jim Brady posted it most likely needs a good cleaning. If you do have a problem with the extractor it's located in your bolt. So you will have to break down the gun into the 2 parts and remove your bolt. So far i have never have had to break my bolt down, but it's just a matter of knocking out the correct pins. But at least take the bolt out and give it a good cleaning 1st and as Jim said clean your chamber area real good. Also give the chamber area where the shell casing sits. Your casing may be sticking in that area from being cruded up.

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Thank you guys, much appreciated. While i eventually would have gotten to Utube I wanted to hear from the real pros on here. I know without a doubt that your info will be beyond reproach and because of that I highly value your input.
Gary keep us posted on what you find out. Had my 61 out squirrel a couple weeks ago. While i didn't get any Grey squirrels i did shoot 5 annoying Red squirrels that always mess with me during deer season. I usually sit up in my deer stand and pick the little tree rats off.:)

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
You might (while you have it apart) reshape the extractor. It needs to be a negative angle to work right.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I pulled it apart this morning and was stunned how clean the action was. Equally surprising was how dry everything was, with no discernible lube on any of the parts. There was some gunk behind the extractor hook, so hopefully enough to have caused the issue. I lubed it all up and re-assembled it but won't get a chance to shoot it for a week or so. The action was much smoother with the lube job.
Goofy thanks for the tip on the extractor angle. I'll try to alter that next if this clean/lube job didn't work. The extractor spring tension seemed good, so I think I'm okay there.
Once again thanks for all the Pro tips, you guys are what makes this forum great!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
On the chamber face of the barrel, there's a angled cut that the extractor sits in when the bolt is closed. If it's packed full of carbon and lead shavings, or even a burr, it prevents the extractor from grabbing the case rim. A dental pick will clean that out.
If I remember right, the 61 has an extractor on the upper right, and lower left?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I took out the rifle today, tried it out and still stuck cases. So i came home, re-read your replies and did some more searching. Indeed the gun does have two extractors Trapp55, and I had only worked on the bottom one. So de-gunked the top one, lubed it up and ran a mag full of live ammo through it, safety on, breech pointed at a stump of wood. All ejected with authority, so we'll see what this gets me next range trip. I did try to remove the top extractor, but no dice. I'm thinking it's a good thing because it's unlikely I could get it back together without professional help. The top extractor did have build up under the claw, and careful cleaning around the breech did reveal additional carbon depsits I missed first go round. Goofy it did not have a negative angle on the hook, but looked near enough to 90 degrees. I don't have any means to grind it without removing it, unless I purchase a small jewelers file.

Once again I thank you all for your help and insight. I'll keep you posted on how it goes next range trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts