Winchester Ammo

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Rugermanws, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Active Member

I went shooting yesterday and decided to get my Stainless Ruger Single Six out and get it dirty. I usually take my Ruger Mark II but I'm having some repairs done to it so I took the Single Six. I had extreme difficulty loading the cylinder because the shell casings were wider or the shell was thicker and I though if it's this hard getting them into the cylinder I don't want to break my ejector rod trying to push them out. I only took the one box of 333 rounds so I couldn't compare with other ammo and by the way the pistol was spotless because after shooting sometimes I have had to run the brass bore brush down to seat the ammo. I don't notice this when I'm shooting the semi Ruger Mark II but has anyone had this problem like I did?

carver and flboots like this.
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

After shooting my revolvers I pull on the end of a Q-tip making it look like a small cannon plunger and dip it in Hoppes#9.Theres sandy residue in the cylinders that might be making it hard to push in your shells.I do this after shooting my 22 revolvers every time I use them.
    Also, I had this problem with a single six once and polished the cylinder with mothers polishing cream from Wally in the auto section and a Dremel round soft cloth polishing wheel attachment.One that was small enough to fit the cylinder that solved the problem.
    Do it just a little at a time and recheck your progress!

3. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Have you tried a different brand of 22s To see if the same thing happens. You may have to polish up the cylinder a little. I had to do that with my Heritage Single Six using the 22mag cylinder the case wouldn't extract. I took some real fine wet/dry sand paper and clean up the cylinder.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    carver likes this.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago with mine. I think its the ammo. I bought this gun new in 1976 and never had this problem before. I took a bore brush and ran it on my drill in the cylinders bore and it helped but the Winchester shells are still tight in the cylinder. Other shells fit fine.

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I have to believe it's the gun. I shoot all kinds of ammo thru my pistols, and rifles. Never had this particular problem with rim fire ammo. I have had this problem with other center fire hand guns though, and the solution to the problem was to polish/hone out the cylinders.

flboots likes this.
  6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Could be the ammo, but more likely it is the cylinder needs a good cleaning. I've read a lot of posts that leave me with the impression that most shooters feel that .22s do not require the same cleaning as center-fire guns. I'd bet that the shooter who owns a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 or .44 Magnum and also owns a Ruger Single Six .22 would spend 45 minutes cleaning the .357 or the .44 and maybe 10 minutes cleaning the .22.

The thing that takes me the longest to clean is a revolver cylinder. That goes the same for .22s as does the big bore center fires.

flboots and Broot like this.
  7. carver

We come form two different worlds!:D I can't remember the last time I cleaned one of my revolvers! Semi-auto pistols are a different breed. They get cleaned more often, or they start jamming up. Revolvers don't jam.

jim brady likes this.
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Well-Known Member

I'm with carver, while cleaning will not hurt it seems that trying another brand/type of ammo would give you an answer before cleaning.
    I think with the great .22 ammo rush there will be more quality issues with virtually all brands of ammo, quantity over quality.

flboots and jim brady like this.
  9. carver

I just remembered that there is a situation where you do have to clean revolvers more often. Shooting .38's in a .357 cylinder, and .44 spcl. in a .44 Mag cylinder.

rawright54 and jim brady like this.
  10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Both agree and disagree here. Hey - I'm starting to sound like a dang Politician!!!:eek:

When you fire a revolver - there's nothing that 'moves' on it's own, unlike a semi-auto pistol. The only time anything 'moves' is when you either cock the hammer or pull the trigger to cock the hammer on a revolver. The slide and the breach of a semi-auto do require cleaning to keep things moving smoothly like they're supposed to. There's only one 'cylinder' (chamber) on a semi-auto pistol, and that gets cleaned when you clean the barrel. Then you have the slide rails to clean and lubricate.

On a revolver, you've got the cylinder that must be cleaned separately from the barrel, and the cylinder pin or 'bolt' that the cylinder rotates on. Agreed that extra cleaning is required after shooting .38 Specials in a .357 or .44 Specials in a .44 Magnum (especially lead bullets), but even with a dinky little .22 there is still hot carbon/gas on firing (and lead). You can 'get away' with not cleaning as often, but it really should be done the same. Heck - I know of folks who never clean even the center fires until they stop working. Of course, I know of people who don't change motor oil - just add to the old stuff. I don't recommend either. But on the plus side - both keep mechanics, car dealerships and gunsmiths in business.;)

By the way - if you see a guy checking motor oil at the gas station, it's probably me. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone else doing it, but I check mine every fill up. Maybe too many years in Army Aviation - the thing was always "Preventative Maintenance". Goes for anything mechanical I have. Might be a loose screw on my part!o_O

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  11. PeteKin

PeteKin Well-Known Member

I have a Henry H001 that will not chamber winchester ammo. Fed, CCI, Rem etc sometimes are a little snug but cause no problems..It's probably a little tight in the chamber but after a few years, Win is the only ammo I can't use in it so far. All other .22s shoot anything I've tried.

Rugermanws and carver like this.
  12. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Active Member

I will try different ammo and let you guys know if it's the gun or the ammo. I didn't expect to have any problems so I just brought the Winchester ammo.

flboots and carver like this.
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

Rugermanws and carver like this.