The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this Winchester Centennial 66 for sale but I'm confused. Isn't the obvious implication here "a model 66", "a 1966 centennial version". This looks more like a 94 to me and far from the 66's I see. Could someone set me strait on this? By the way, is $600 to high for this gun?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I found an article which explains this. I should have researched a bit more before posting. I'm curious if that price is high though?

1966 was the Winchester Repeating Arms Company's 100th year of operation. To commemorate this occasion, Winchester produced a run of fancy Model 94 rifles. These were based on post 1964 Model 94's actions with a gold plated receiver and forend cap, brass "rifle" (curved) buttplate, saddle ring, and a heavy octagon barrel with a full length magazine that was nicely polished and deeply blued. The straight hand stock was select walnut. All were in caliber .30-30 Winchester.

There were rifle (26") and carbine (20") barrel lengths, and sets of rifle and carbine with consecutive serial numbers were also offered. The point to all of the gold and brass was to make the 1966 Centennial reminiscent of the brass framed Winchester 1866 "Yellow Boy" rifle that was Winchester's first product.

I believe that Winchester intended to make something like 44,000 of these Centennial '66 Model 94's. But a surprising consumer demand, and Winchester's desire to make a buck, resulted in a final combined production total of 102,309 rifles and carbines. The Centennial '66 was quite a hit, and a highly engraved version shared the cover of the 1967 Gun Digest with an equally highly engraved Model 1866 Winchester.

These Centennial '66 rifles and carbines generally showed a high order of fit and finish. The receiver was 24 carat gold plated inside and out, so they were pretty with the action open, too. Here are the basic specifications of the Centennial '66 Rifle:

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
These days, if it has 'Winchester' stamped any where on it you will pay thru the nose for it. Don't get me wrong, I have always liked Winchester products, but not at the prices that folks jack them up to. My last Winchester purchase was an unfired Model 94 in .44 Magnum, and that was just a year or so ago for about $400. $600 might be a tad steep for that rifle, but there are many who will pay that price. Offer them $500 cash and see if they go for it.

That Centennial model you show here is really nice. Has the good looks of a Yellow Boy and the strength of a modern steel Model 94.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that input Jim. Those are pretty much my thoughts as well. It's supposedly in excellent cond. but it has been fired which to the collector removes it from the "unfired class" so I thought $600 would be top dollar to the wise.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The value of those guns lies in their being new in the box and, needless to say, unfired. And of course they made a bunch of them, so there is no aura of limited production. I would call $600 about tops, but in the end what you pay for anything depends on how much you want it.

Jim

·
Registered
764 Posts
$600 is way too much, and $500 is still excessive. The current value for a NIB WINCHESTER '66 Centennial commmemorative is $545. The gun you are asking about is worth no more than $350 (though there are uneducated people out there that undoubtedly would pay more than that).

Bert H.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
I agree with Bert, but only to a point. That point being that the newer Model 94 Commemoritives have that (in my humble opinion) distasteful safety thru the receiver. I personally would pay more for an older rifle without it than for a newer one with that feature. But that just makes the world go 'round. In the end it's just a matter of tastes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.