Winchester gun safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by graybeard54, Apr 27, 2009.

1. graybeard54

graybeard54 New Member

I'm a relatively new member with very little knowledge of gun safes, but I would like a more secure storage location than my closet. I understand that you get what you pay for, but value is always a real concern. That said, I found a Winchester gun safe (24 long guns or 12 long guns + shelves) for $500 new. It's advertised as good for 30 minutes at 1200 deg. It has a digital entry with 4 locking lugs. The question I have is - is this a good deal or is something wrong here? Any and all advice is appreciated.

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That does sound like an excellent price. Is someone coming around selling them off the back end of a truck.:D:eek:

I think I would have to go for it!!

3. graybeard54

graybeard54 New Member

Hah! No, they're on sale at the Costco (big box store). Actually, my wife found it for me.

4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I'd say it is a good deal but the fire rating is a little weak. I think that is what makes the more expensive safes more expensive.

5. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I have one that is modular... it can be taken apart from the inside with a socket set. The door is just short of 200 lbs.

mike
    gn

6. graybeard54

graybeard54 New Member

Thanks for the opinions, I think I'll go ahead and get one. Better than the closet and hopefully enough to deter most amateur thieves.

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Which one do you have. I've looked at the Zanotti, and like it, but not the price. I've recently found Gunn Gard, but they apparently only make one size, and it's very small.

8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Don't have a winchester safe, but I got the lock for ya.

Attached Files:

9. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I bought one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=291281-10283-CN20-BK&lpage=none

The main feature that swayed my to buy this one was the Sargent and Greenleaf combination lock, not a cheesy digital lock. Hey, I mean no offense to those who like the digital locks, I just don't like them. S&G has a great reputation, and they are EMP-proof. If that big solar-flare hits us like they expect, at least I will still be able to get at my guns.

The only thing I dont like about it was the made in china sticker on the back. :mad: Dammit, I tell you I would have NOT bought it if I knew. I only discovered it when I got it home and got it out of the box. A quick step up on that soapbox, and I just say that we got to - now more than ever - buy US-made goods. 'Nuff said.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  10. dhbvino

dhbvino New Member

I believe these are made in China...spend a few bucks more for American

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver Active Member

We bought a Cannon safe from Costco recently and were pleased with the experience. They shipped it out to us in about two-days and brought it to the front door. If you buy one at Bass Pro for instance, they let you figure out how to get a 1,000 lb. plus monster home.

Hint: Always buy MORE safe than you think you will need. Ours is already jammed full. :)

12. 358 winchester

358 winchester New Member

Mine is concrete 12 ft x 24 ft and a four inch thick door it holds half my TOOLS ;) and the reloading bench with all the gear. :)

13. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Go with S & G mechanical lock, first thing a thief does is bash off an electronic keypad, 'cause he thinks access rods are behind. This causes the wire leads to fall inside the door, a real hassle to fish out (if you're lucky). Quoted fire rating is OK for home. Relative that is fireman says most home fires burn hot, but not long.

LEO friend says most of us give thieves way too much credit. They'll spend an hour checking out the best way to enter your home, and then panic when they're inside for five minutes.

You might want to bolt your safe to the floor, also, for safety.

Had good experience with Bass-Pro. True, they didn't deliver, but there was no delivery charge either! Three of us had it in place (800# Browning) in less than 15 minutes.

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver Active Member

If you don't have one, Home Depot Rental rents appliance dollies for around $14 that will handle items up to 1,000 lbs. With the safe strapped in nice and tight it made it a lot easier to locate it where we wanted it. Get a couple of strong friends with good backs to help you, you'll need it.:)

P.S.; The Cannon Warranty covers the theives smashing your electronic lock and will send a locksmith out to fix it free if that happens. Their Warranty is the best in the industry, that's why we decided go with them.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009