The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks.

I recently acquired a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06, made in 1958. Beautiful rifle. Very nice condition.

It has the original hooded front sight and the fold down rear sight. I purchased a Leupold one-piece sight base and tall rings to mount a spare Burris 4-16x44 Signature Series scope I had. I have run into the issue that the scope touches the rear sight (folded down) and I do not want to remove the sight.

Does anyone have experience with this issue and what base/rings combo will fix this so the scope objective clears the rear sight?

Thanks in advance for the help.

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Either taller rings or get a scope more in line with the period of the rifle with a smaller objective. A 4X or 6X, steel Weaver comes to mind.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I have a Leupold 6x on mine. To rear off and put in blank. I could have used higher rings and left sight on. I have a special box that has original parts in safe keeping so they can be put back on later. That particular sight has been in that box since gun was new over 60yr ago. It did start life with Weaver K6 and Weaver bases and rings until 1970s when I switched to Leupold.
Shelf Bookcase Wood Shelving Publication

· Banned
79 Posts
Thanks folks. I'll look for a 4x or 6x weaver. I dont need a lot of magnification for the souther Mississippi woods I hunt in anyway. I just had the Burris already and figured I'd use it.
For woods hunting, my favorite scope was a1-1/2 to 5X Leupold. I don't think they make it any more, but there are similar good ones out there. Here in the Arkansas woods long range shots are rare, outside power line right-of-ways, and the wide field of view at low power is worth more than high magnification.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again everyone.

I dug through my spare scope stash and I came up with a possible stop gap measure. I found a vintage Tasco, unmarked magnification (I think 4x), fixed. I mounted it to the rifle and it does look "right" for a classic M70 rifle. I will try it for load development in a couple of months and let's hope it holds a zero. I have no recollection of where it came from or what rifle I took it off of.. Getting old sucks.

Heck, if it will hold a zero, I may hunt it next season. That's TBD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts