Winchester Mod. 12, 12 gage choke question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Qyatburp, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Qyatburp

Qyatburp Member

I have a Model 12 with a Cutts Compensator on it that can use various chokes that I may need at the time. It's a great hunting shotgun but it's also the only real "riot" shotgun I have while I'm waiting for another to come in.

I bought it used so I don't know the early history of the gun. It's possible that it may have experienced a barrel burst which prompted an earlier owner to put the Cutts on it or they simply wanted a variable choke which wasn't available in the era the gun was made. The barrel seems to taper from rear of the barrel all the way out to the end but the metal also thins out as well.

My question is a technical one. The barrel is a Winchester Proof Steel one, not nickel steel which I think is a softer steel. I was wondering at what point in the barrel does it begin to shrink down to the stated choke level that's stamped on the barrel which is "Mod." under the 12 gage designation? I was wondering if the barrel had been cut off before the taper, even with a Modified choke, could I shoot slugs through it without damaging the barrel and using an improved choke in the Cutts or no choke at all?

shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A Cutt’s on a “riot” barrel is ummmm interesting. Someone that knows will chime in but I’m thinking you’d be fine with Cylinder or Improved Cylinder. As to the original choke it would have been in about the last 21/2-3”inches.

3. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Open the Cutts and shoot it. I had a 20 gauge single shot that I cut to 18 1/4" and added an adjustable choke. It was cut down as an under the seat Truck shotgun, used for ground sluicing Ruffed & Blue grouse I encountered while deer/elk/antelope hunting. It was a full choke gun but cutting it down removed all the choke anyway. I'm sure your "Riot" gun was made by someone and wasn't a factory gun.

joe45c likes this.
  4. Qyatburp

Qyatburp Member

LOL. Perhaps "home defense" would be a better term. I had another Model 12 with a full barrel on it which my son has now. I'll get him to measure his barrel to see how much was cut off of mine. I'd be willing to bet whatever choke was originally built into the barrel has been cut out but the barrel appears to be standard length or better with the Cutts on it. One of these days I might get brave enough to put a rifled slug through it with no choke on the Cutts.

Thanks.

5. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think you’re pretty safe to assume that if a smith put a Cutt’s on your shotgun he removed enough of the barrel to eliminate the factory choke.

shootbrownelk, sharps4590 and joe45c like this.
  6. Qyatburp

Qyatburp Member

It looks as if it was cut squarely and installed properly so I would assume it would have been. I'm trying to get my son to measure the barrel on his M-12 to see how long it is.

Thanks.

7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I agree with Firpo. I'd bet the original choke was cut off when the Cutts was installed.

8. shootbrownelk

Most of the model 12's I see have 28 or 30 inch barrels. I don't remember seeing one shorter on a 12 gauge. I run across quite a few model 12's on my search for my grail model 1897.

9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Riot and Trench gun models have a 20" barrel and marked CYL. All the rest were 26", 28", or 30".

sharps4590 and shootbrownelk like this.
  10. shootbrownelk

I've never seen a 26" bbl on a 12 gauge.

11. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

The ones I've seen were all Skeet Grade.
    Forgot to add the Mod. 12 Heavy Duck, was offered with a 30" or 32" barrel, and 3" chamber.
    Model 12's with a Cutts Compensator that have the flaming bomb and US Stamp, are "as issued" for the aerial gunnery schools of WWII.

12. shootbrownelk

I've seen a couple of nice Heavy Duck model 12's with the 32" barrel, but they aren't common. That was back in Wisconsin where scatterguns are everywhere. Out here in the Rockies, they're a scarce item.

13. langenc

langenc Active Member

Around NW Ohio back in the late 50s-early 60 Cutts were quite common/desirable for small game hunting, pheasant/rabbit as were Mod 12s.
    I suspect the barrels were shortened somewhat and Cutts added. The factory choke had to be eliminated and no one wanted a 28" barrel w/ 4-5" Cutts added.

Neighbors friend had a Mag 12 back then (duck gun), 12 ga w/ 3" chamber. Was kinds an oddity but he liked it for ducks, about all he hunted.

sharps4590 likes this.
  14. Qyatburp

Qyatburp Member

Wow. The notification option for replies doesn't seem to be working otherwise I'd have been back sooner. Sorry about that...

Anyway, my son's M12's barrel measured from the receiver front to the end of the barrel - 29-1/8th inches and is a Full Choke so I guess with the threaded end of the barrel included it's probably a 30" barrel. Mine is cut back to 21" from the front of the receiver to an estimated 1/2" into the Cutts. It also, as I said earlier above, started life out as a Modified Choke so there couldn't have been much taper to begin with.