The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this gun (serial# 1657650) some 20 odd years ago and would like to find out the date of manufacture.

Winchester web site doesn't seem to have any links where I can search/inquire to that end, anyone got any leads?

Thanks..........

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello,

The Winchester serialization versus dates of manufacture information contained on Proofhouse.com is not accurate, and it should not be used for reference purposes. I strongly do not recommend book marking the link.

Per the actual factory records (in possession of the Cody Firearms Museum), Model 12 serial number 1657650 was manufactured in May of 1955.

Bert H.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

The Winchester serialization versus dates of manufacture information contained on Proofhouse.com is not accurate, and it should not be used for reference purposes. I strongly do not recommend book marking the link.

Per the actual factory records (in possession of the Cody Firearms Museum), Model 12 serial number 1657650 was manufactured in May of 1955.

Bert H.
No kidding. Thanks for correction.

Geez...just 8 months off my brithdate. :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok this gun is a full choked unit w/a 2.75 inch chamber.

From the front of receiver the barrel measures just a smidge under 28.75".

So is that what they call a 28" barrel?

·
Registered
17,289 Posts
The way to measure a barrel is to close the bolt and run a rod down the barrel. Mark where the rod meets the muzzle, and measure the length of the rod, from end to mark.

"From the front of the receiver"can be off by a quarter inch or more.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ok this gun is a full choked unit w/a 2.75 inch chamber.

From the front of receiver the barrel measures just a smidge under 28.75".

So is that what they call a 28" barrel?
No... it is a 30-inch barrel.

Bert H.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts