The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Winchester 03 manufactured in 06' and for the caliber it only says .22 cal automatic. Is it .22 long or long rifle?

· Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Helix! I guess I won't be shooting it.

· Registered
9 Posts
CTD is advertising Aguila Winchester 22 automatic for about $20.00 per box. I heard they made a limited run. I have an 03 also, but add the haz mat and it's not worth it to me. You may feel different.
2AMMD

· Registered
2 Posts
I have an 03 made in 1926 in 95+% condition with typical fading receiver blue. It has an optional factory installed Lyman #45 receiver sight which can also occasionally be found on the later Model 63, several of which I've owned over the years. I find the 03 aesthetically appealing, with the 20" carbine-style barrel, straight grip (with the exception of the deluxe model which had a checkered pistol grip) and the curved steel rifle-type buttplate identical to that on the 1890. The biggest drawback to owning an 03 has always been the expense and availability of the specialized 45 gr. ammo it requires which Winchester and Remington stopped manufacturing years ago. But then fairly recently Old Western Scrounger made a deal with Aguila and had a batch made, most of which (over the last 5-6 years) was snatched up. I managed to get about 500 rnds. of that and a couple of boxes of Remingtons and have been parsing out about a mag. (10 rnds.) a week. But now, Aguila has come out with another run and it can be had from J&G Sales (just google 'em) for $14.95 a box; not bad considering the current price and availability of the regular .22 ammo right now. I got a brick and one extra box and now have over 1000 rnds. which should keep me happy for quite some time. Both the gun and ammo are quite accurate and dependable; 25 yd. 10 shot groups produce one ragged little hole.

Just out of curiosity, I'm not sure what 22AMMD's "haz mat" quote is in reference to; price of the ammo? -Asa

· Registered
1,104 Posts
CTD is advertising Aguila Winchester 22 automatic for about $20.00 per box. I heard they made a limited run. I have an 03 also, but add the haz mat and it's not worth it to me. You may feel different.
2AMMD
If someone is charging you hazmat on ammo you are getting ripped off.
Loaded ammo is not hazmat material. It is ORM-D, which is a simple
sticker that has no additional fees associated with it.

· Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the info ASA! I love my 95% '03 Winchester. I scored a couple of boxes from the OWS run a year ago but don't want to shoot it because guys are getting $1 a round for that stuff now!!!

I just ordered 4 boxes from J&G . . . that's it for this months budget because of other ammo purchases. Hopefully they will have more next month and it will continue to get produced.

By the way, I have an extra beat up stock and receiver/barrel for one of these if someone is trying to repair. No other parts though.

Michael

· Registered
55 Posts
Got my .22 Win Auto ammo from J&G yesterday, neat looking box but no manufacturers name on it anywhere. It does say "limited edition" but I hope they run it for a while.

I'll go out and shoot it this weekend and let you guys know how it goes :)

· Registered
740 Posts
If someone is charging you hazmat on ammo you are getting ripped off.
Loaded ammo is not hazmat material. It is ORM-D, which is a simple
sticker that has no additional fees associated with it.
i think he ment "explosives surcharge" shipping charge three times the price of one box of .22 (50) not too bad if you buy a case but when they limit you to ONE box (50) i won't pay it !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.