The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester model 03

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  oldfartrr 
I have an 03 made in 1926 in 95+% condition with typical fading receiver blue. It has an optional factory installed Lyman #45 receiver sight which can also occasionally be found on the later Model 63, several of which I've owned over the years. I find the 03 aesthetically appealing, with the 20" carbine-style barrel, straight grip (with the exception of the deluxe model which had a checkered pistol grip) and the curved steel rifle-type buttplate identical to that on the 1890. The biggest drawback to owning an 03 has always been the expense and availability of the specialized 45 gr. ammo it requires which Winchester and Remington stopped manufacturing years ago. But then fairly recently Old Western Scrounger made a deal with Aguila and had a batch made, most of which (over the last 5-6 years) was snatched up. I managed to get about 500 rnds. of that and a couple of boxes of Remingtons and have been parsing out about a mag. (10 rnds.) a week. But now, Aguila has come out with another run and it can be had from J&G Sales (just google 'em) for $14.95 a box; not bad considering the current price and availability of the regular .22 ammo right now. I got a brick and one extra box and now have over 1000 rnds. which should keep me happy for quite some time. Both the gun and ammo are quite accurate and dependable; 25 yd. 10 shot groups produce one ragged little hole.

Just out of curiosity, I'm not sure what 22AMMD's "haz mat" quote is in reference to; price of the ammo? -Asa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.