Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Winchester model 12 16ga

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Helix_FR, May 11, 2009.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

anyone have some value input on a 1929 Winchester model 12 field grade 16ga with a modified choke. 90% bluing, minor scratches on the stock? My bluebook is about 4 years old now and I know with most shot going to steel, has its affect.

2. muddober

muddober Active Member

You are right about the steel shot thing causing the model 12 to loose value but your gun has two things going for it in my view. The modified choke is a real plus and the 16 gauge is as well. Without seeing it I would make a guess of its value at between $500 and $600. A lot of model 12's are scratched real bad on the left side of the receiver where the untrained allows the action rod to rub the frame when reassembly from the take down feature is attempted. I hope I was of some help,

Ron

Last edited: May 11, 2009

3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

thanks muddobber. I know what you talking about in the receiver. I always made sure the action rod was centered to prevent scratches.

4. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Active Member

Is the barrel marked 2 3/4" chamber? If it's not marked that way, it probably has 2 9/16 inch chambers and may devalue it a little.

Jolly

5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

its marked 2 3/4

6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Check the ejection port with a fired shell. Some of the early ones had 2 3/4 chambers, but the ejection port was cut for paper roll crimped shells. The newer folded crimp plastics are just enough longer to catch upon ejection. I'm having to reload for my Model 12 16ga because of that.

Pops

7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I've put a couple hundred rounds through it using new shells. (lead, no steel) Never had a ejection issue. Clears the port just fine. They fly out 3 to 4 feet when ejected.