Winchester Model 12 field grade.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hubby11, Apr 24, 2009.

1. hubby11

hubby11 New Member

Hi, I have a Winchester Model 12, 12 Gauge, 2 ¾’ Cham., Full Choke
    SS# - 998856 based on http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php , the year of manufacture for this gun is 1946.

It is your basic field grade model, with the "honey comb" pump. I am no expert but would guess is it easily in 90% plus condition. Some minor wear on the tube magazine from the pump action, and one small chip missing from the butt stock plate. Otherwise pretty pristine.

I inherited it from my dad. I am not even sure if he ever used it, but I know for certain it has not been shot in the past 40+ years.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Model 12 Winchester shotguns have softened over the years because of laws mandating steel shot for migratory birds. While the guns in my opinion are one of the best ever made the barrels are not chromed lined or hard enough for the steel shot. I would hazard a guess that 4 to 5 hundred is all it would bring.

3. hubby11

hubby11 New Member

Thanks for the info.

Steve

4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer Member

Steve,

Welcome to TFF.

Condition is everything on model 12's, with the best ones are being purchased by collectors and the rest by hunters. As muddober indicated, 12's are consider the greatest pump gun of all time.

If yours is 90% or better, it may bring as much as $700 if you find the right buyer. That's a stretch though, and muddober is likely closer to the real world value. Take it to a couple of gun shows and see what the guys there have to say. That's as real world as it gets.