The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a winchester model 12 that I would like to know a little more about and some clue as to its value.

Its marked trap on the take down extension. On the barrel on the left side it says nickel steel and on the right side it has a list of patent dates. The rib is stamped Simmons Gun Specialties. The barrel is 30 inches and is full choke.

Attachments

· Registered
670 Posts
You have a trap model 12 Winchester. The straight stock and the shape of the wooden fore end gives it away even with out the trap stamped on it. Most of the old Model 12 trap models have been shot a bunch and are generally pretty wore out. They are not used much for trap shooting any longer, in fact I can't even remember the last time I saw one at our trap club. The gun you have is over 50 years old now. Maybe 70 years old or more. My dad had one that looked just like yours and it was so wore out that it was not safe any more. He got tired having it worked on and gave it to a gunsmith. The number should tell you the year it was made and Simmons made ventilated ribs for trap guns among other ad ons for guns. Back in the 60's and 70's I remember seeing quite a few Simmons ribs. None in the last 25 years or so though. I would say that all trap guns now come with the manufactures own ribs.

· Registered
670 Posts
According to my source your Model 12 Winchester was made in 1924, so it is 89 years old. It looks like it is in very good shape. But it would be my guess that the wood has been refinished and the gun has been reblued. If not it has been shot very little and stored under the right conditions. My guess would be that it is worth somewhere between 3 and 6 hundred dollars. Really it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

· Registered
763 Posts
Hello,

Your Model 12 Trap Gun was manufactured in the year 1923. At that time, Winchester installed their own Vent Ribs on the higher end guns. The Simmons VR on your gun was installed after the fact (many years later), and it was refinished at that time. Additionally, the recoil pad on the butt stock is not factory original.

The value is tough to say, as most collectors will not be interested in the gun as an altered piece.

Bert H.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.