The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model 1894. Just looking for some info on this rifle. Just inherited this rifle and was wondering what this may go at auction or should I keep it? Wood sits flush with the receiver and has small rust marks. I’m sure it was well used by my great grandfather. The barrel band seems not original but I don’t know. Any info would be great thanks. image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
It's an 1894 sporting rifle in 38/55, Polishing Room Records show it was made in 1902, and it would have been a special order with a rare 3/4 magazine. I wouldn't even think of selling that, especially being a heirloom.
Chase, do yourself a favor, and contact Bert Hartman for a Model 1894 survey he's been doing, he'll be interested in that one. He'll tell you the exact day/month/year it was made, received in the warehouse, when it shipped, and where it shipped to. He can also tell you exactly what features it left Winchester with, and if it went back to the factory for any repairs or modifications. Email him at [email protected] ,put "Winchester 1894" as the subject title, and tell him Trap sent you. He'll want some specific photos, and possibly measurements like barrel and magazine tube length.

·
Premium Member
14,041 Posts
Keep it. I would never sell an inherited gun. You will regret it if you do.
I couldn't sell one passed down from my side of the family. My conscience would emasculate me.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I went by Proof House. I knew they weren't reliable post war but though they were for pre war.
Hawg, that Madis info is still all over the web, and nobody seems concerned to correct it. I'm surprised the ATF hasn't got involved for guns being sold as "Antique", when they should be classified as "C&R". This one is a classic example.

it looks like the barrel was shortened and a different front sight put on it, not sure about the sling sweivels
eastbanks, why I suggested he contact Bert to find out how it left Winchester. I'm not sure about those swivels or the front sight either, but I know Winchester would make them how you wanted it, if you had the desire, and the money to do it.

·
Banned
393 Posts
i think i see a line of solder between the barrel and front sight and the cap on the magizine is flat and should be dommed( on magizines shorter than full magizine tubes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts