The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Winchester model 37 Steelbilt .410 today.. it is in fairly good shape just needs a to be cleaned up a bit.. a piece of the stock is missing but other than that it is in excellent shape. Any info on this equipment is helpful.
It has a "26 barrel and some of the red lettering is still in the Winchester on the bottom of the reciever.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
If you are interested in value, it is hard to say without pictures, especially of the stock damage, but I would WAG at around $250.

The Model 37 was Winchester's utility single barrel shotgun, designed to compete with break open single barrels by H&R and Savage-Stevens-Springfield. The earlier ones had a problem with the mainspring support, but that was corrected and they are pretty good guns. Today there is some collector interest, as with all Winchesters, but there were enough made that collectors are interested only in "as new", or close, guns. Yours sounds like a decent hunting gun.

Jim

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I had a co-worker who hunted rabbit out here in the Ozarks with a .410 model 37. He loved it and wouldn't part with it for any amount.
I've seen the 37a model go for $200 lately, the US made 37 has always been higher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it is a fine firearm and am not planning on parting with it.. the more i work on it the more i like it. i am having a problem with the shell ejector though.. and this is the first single shot break action i have worked on.. is that supposed to retract back in? i'm thinking so but it only will when it closes.. any ideas??
:confused:

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
That is normal. The breech pushes the extractor/ejector back in when the gun is closed. Then when the gun is opened, the ejector throws the empty shell out. If the user wants to have an extractor without the ejection, the ejector sear can be removed.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts