The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grandfather bought this Model 42, serial number 89590, 1951, for my Mother. It has had less than 2 boxes of shells shot thru it. All original, serial numbers match, no scratches or rubs, blueing 95%+.

Truth, I have never bought or sold a gun yet have no interest in what is a special, prized gun.

Value? Best market? I need help, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Very, very nice off the shelf Model 42. This means it has no unusual factory ordered features such as a ventilated or solid rib, special high quality wood, or embellishments such as engraving. Just an honest ordinary bottom grade shotgun in excellent condition. If it were new in the factory box it would be worth at least $2500. If it was as new with absolutely no blue wear, no nicks or scratches but with no factory box, value would run $2000. In slightly used condition with a little blue wear such as yours is, it's probably worth around $1700. Any chance you can find the factory box hidden away somewhere?

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I'm not an expert on Winchester Model 42's and surely one of the experts will be here shortly but I don't want you to be left hanging. Welcome to the forum. I also have a 42 like yours but older purchased by my mother for a gift to my father in 1933.

Yours is a standard grade model and judging by the condition shown in the photos I would put it's value in the $1500 range. There is considerable collector interest in the model 42's so the more info you get the better chance of determining a true value. Sorry I can't be of more help.

If you took that to one of the gun shows around here I am sure you would be swarmed with lookers and offers before you got very far down the first aisle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, No chance of factory box or additional supporting documentation. Given my nonchalant nature, I am surprised I have kept it in as good a shape as it is. I know this may sound disrespectful to many of you, but some of us are just cut differently.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just like Todd51....I surely am no expert on Winchester shotguns.....although I do own 5. 2-mod. 1897's & 3-mod 12's.....and sometimes area gun auctions give an idea of what gun values are doing for certain firearms. I have attended 3 auctions within the last 3 mths. and have seen 7 mod. 42's sold....as I have an interest in them...but not willing to buy at the price that they are bringing. Of the 7... two were well used guns going for a low of $1700, and a high of $1900. 1 was new in the box never fired w/ vent rib that sold for $5200...it was a 1943 vintage gun. Really nice. The other 4 were above what I would consider better then average condition and sold from $2400 - $3800. If yours would have been at one of those sales I'd guess it would have brought at least $2500 and probably closer to $3500. These prices, of course, are at live area auctions, and may not reflect what they may sell for in your area. As a comparison, 4 or 5 yrs. ago I saw mod. 42's going for max prices of $1500-$1800 for really nice ones.....darn should have bought one then!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, guys, Gun show in my state this weekend. I plan on taking this gun to the show. What should I accept for it? How do I identify a collector versus a dealer? Do I just walk the aisles showing it to all?

You have been very helpful educating me. Now for the next step? Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello Larry,

The real world value of your April 1950 production Field grade Model 42 is $1800 - $2000. The vast majority of the people you will encounter at the gun show are dealers, and will not offer you full retail value. I suspect that most will offer < $1500 for it.

Bert H.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
OK, guys, Gun show in my state this weekend. I plan on taking this gun to the show. What should I accept for it? How do I identify a collector versus a dealer? Do I just walk the aisles showing it to all?

You have been very helpful educating me. Now for the next step? Thanks!
Trust me on this one, carry that little 42 into the show and you will not have to worry about finding people to show it to. They will be coming to you. If I had the money now I would be in contact with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts