The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this .22 from a friend. It has not been used in a long time. It will not fire. There is no tension on the trigger. I do not know if the sear is worn, the spring on the firing pin is not being compressed or something else. Any ideas? The next stop is the gunsmith.

Thanks.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I assume you know that the firing pin is not cocked when the bolt is worked. You have to pull the cocking piece back to cock the firing pin.

Jim

·
Registered
360 Posts
What Jim K said:

Pull the knurled nob on the end of the bolt back to cock the gun.

If the firing pin spring is weak, it may not hit the base of the cartridge with enough force to fire it. Then gunsmith time and a new spring. Or something else.

Let us know what you find out.

Jolly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume you know that the firing pin is not cocked when the bolt is worked. You have to pull the cocking piece back to cock the firing pin.

Jim
I did assume working the bolt cocked it. I will try pulling the cocking piece back when I get home tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Once you cock it, use the knob to take tension off the firing pin while pulling the trigger on an empty gun. Not a good idea to dry fire rimfires-- dry firing can ruin the firing pin, which is made to impact soft brass and not hard steel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yea, it went Bang! My buddies are getting a pretty good laugh at my expense for not knowing how this gun worked. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts