The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a Winchester model 64 made in 1955. Was told it may be a Winchester Custom Shop gun. He was told this by the Head of the Winchester Museum. They want him to send it to Wyoming to verify. We would like to know what something like this is worth. And have you seen anything like this? (I'm going to have to use two threads for pics.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Circasian or Turkish Walnut...Not a regular wood choice either. Don't recognise the checkering pattern, nor the cheek piece treatment....

Let us know what they say at Cody, I would like to know...

Regards, Kirk

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,736 Posts
I would have a hard time putting that firearm on a Fed-ex, UPS, USPS, or any other kind of truck, just to see what it is worth. Insured or not, some things can't be replaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLoIGu3mm5o

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not even for a personal order? I would think that a custom shop would put any kind of wood on that the person wanted.

I appreciate your time Kirk. Thanks. More replies wanted. Cause now I'm curious.

-Travis

·
Registered
764 Posts
Travis,

That is definitely not a Custom Shop made Model 64. The stock configuration is not Winchester work, and the grip cap on the pistol grip is definitely not right. All grip caps were made of black hard rubber, and have the Winchester logo on them. The screw in the center of the grip caps was decoratively engraved.

One thing that really concerns me, is that I know for a fact that Warren Newman (the CFM Curator) would not have asked or offered to look at the gun, as it is expressly forbidden by Museum policy (and stated as such on their web page). As an infrequent part time volunteer at the CFM, I am fully aware of the rules that they must follow.

Lastly, I just recently finished an in-depth article specifically about the Model 64 that will be published in the Winter edition of the "Winchester Collector" magazine, and I am a subject matter expert on them. In that regard, I can tell you that the rifle is not factory original or Custom Shop built.

Bert H.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Report-----Winchester.22 pump chambered for .22 short cartdidge patent date 1900 sold for $ 475 at a local auction last Saturday. Bidding was between two men, one said he bid too much, but wasn't going to lose out to the other bidder. In cases like that someone is going to pay too much! However in a similar situation about 30 years ago, I saw a Winchester Model 57 chambered for .22 short, at a gun auction sold for $900. I bought mine in 1943 for $15.00. Winchester made special barrels for the .22 short cartridge, 1-20 ratio. Long rifle is 1-16

1 - 8 of 8 Posts