The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased used about 45 years ago. Came with a Bushnell scope and leather sling. Any idea what year it was made and what it's worth is? Condtion is fair to good. Matching Winchester clip. Had not been fired for 40 years until recently. Model 69A
.22 S L or LR-
Serial #26116

·
Registered
286 Posts
The 69A wasn't listed in the 1934 Stoegers Catalog but was in the 1939 edition. When I was in college, in the 60's I believe they were still being made or had just gone out of production. Mine has the inexpensive peep sight and is deadly on wood chucks around the farm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very few 69A's were serialized since production ended before the 1968 Gun Control Act which required all firearms to have a serial number. The handful of 69A's that did have a SN were suspected to have been produced for export, or were sold to an outfit that required it for some other reason. I sometimes wonder if Winchester used model 75 receivers when they were running short on 69 receivers since they seem to be identical. The only difference is that the model 75 was numbered from day one.

Early 69A's had a bolt handle that was bent straight down. Later models were swept back toward the rear. The early stocks were blunt at the tip as opposed the the tapered shape on the later models. I believe somewhere around 1955 and later the receivers were grooved for easy scope mounting.
As for price, I agree with mr.t7024's evaluation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts