The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would greatly appreciate an estimate of value of this rifle. Its been in the family for years, serial # 42XXXX, indicating 1942 manufacture. It is in very good condition, and likely shot less than 2 box of shells through it. My late father acquired it about 50 years ago after one of his buddies that gave it to him in return for debt owed. He took it on a few Colorado hunting trips, gave it to me about 20 years ago and I only shot it a few times at the range. Shoulder strap and compass in stock as seen in pics. None of the younger ones my family show interest in inheriting it, so I figure to sell it. Estimated value please as I have no clue??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
42,036 Posts
Hard to give you a good estimate with the pictures taken at that distance. Close ups are really needed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have one, not as old as yours and doesn't have a compass either. Mine has a 4x scope - main reason I came here was to find out about it. Later took it to a gun shop where the owner offered my $4k for it. I had no interest in selling it as it was my late father-in-law's but I'm guessing yours is prolly more than mine

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Would greatly appreciate an estimate of value of this rifle. Its been in the family for years, serial # 42XXXX, indicating 1942 manufacture. It is in very good condition, and likely shot less than 2 box of shells through it. My late father acquired it about 50 years ago after one of his buddies that gave it to him in return for debt owed. He took it on a few Colorado hunting trips, gave it to me about 20 years ago and I only shot it a few times at the range. Shoulder strap and compass in stock as seen in pics. None of the younger ones my family show interest in inheriting it, so I figure to sell it. Estimated value please as I have no clue??
That is a gun I am quite familiar with but couldn't tell you at all what it is worth.

That was the exact type of gun my dad had up in Alaska and he shot bear, moose and caribou with it. My older brother has it up in Maine and still shoots it and has access to reloads for his ammo. Still well maintained. My dad got it in the early 60's so not sure how old it was when he bought it off of a friend. That an old 30-06 were his two rifles all the time we were up in Alaska.

Thanks for the blast from the past. I remember that gun well and it was always one of our favorites.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts