The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I was hoping you could help me with something in my win 70.
I bought this rifle a few years ago and i've been hunting with ever since. its quite accurate for its age cause its number is in the 3000's.
but there are some odd things about it.
I know this one is a lyman sight factory edition but still the barrel is completely plain but for the iron sights at the tip.
the bolt is nicely graved but its the first time I saw one such as this.
Ive only noticed this when a friend of mine talked me about the pre 64 model 70's and stuff. here are some pic guys:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,966 Posts
I know this one is a lyman sight factory edition but still the barrel is completely plain but for the iron sights at the tip.
The base of the lyman sight is still attached to the receiver. Someone removed the aperture part when the scope was added. So originally the rifle used the lyman rear aperture with the front site. Other than that from what i see it's a real nice Winchester.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep it does says "super grade" on the floorplate. but its the first time i see a bolt handle engraved such as this. maybe someone did it or maybe it was from the factory? idk.
but i guess people do a lot of stuff on firearms along the years

thanks venom

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I'm not the expert. Lot of pre-64 SG bolt knobs are hollow, in the "Featherweight" fashion, most are smooth. The checkered band came later IIRC. But never say never; that bolt knob checkering is pure class, whether factory or after-market custom. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and educate us both.

·
Super Moderator
9,282 Posts
Your Model 70 was made in early 1937, with 9,335 made that year. The rear sight is a factory installed Lyman 48WJS, and why there is no rear barrel sight. The Standard, if fitted with the Lyman sight, usually had a dovetail blank installed where the rear barrel sight would go. Winchester changed the Lyman sight around 1947-49? so that the inlet cut in the stock wasn't needed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your Model 70 was made in early 1937, with 9,335 made that year. The rear sight is a factory installed Lyman 48WJS, and why there is no rear barrel sight. The Standard, if fitted with the Lyman sight, usually had a dovetail blank installed where the rear barrel sight would go. Winchester changed the Lyman sight around 1947-49? so that the inlet cut in the stock wasn't needed.
Thank you, TRAP55, was hoping someone like you would come along. So, do we think the bolt knob knurling is factory or custom?

·
Super Moderator
9,282 Posts
Thank you, TRAP55, was hoping someone like you would come along. So, do we think the bolt knob knurling is factory or custom?
Venom, I can't answer that one for sure. There was a transition period when that rifle was made, from the Model 54 to the 70, and I can't see the bolt knob clear enough, to even see it's knurled. I'll see what I can find out though. Winchester, back in the day, would do about any extras you wanted to pay for, so nothing they did surprises me anymore.

·
Super Moderator
9,282 Posts
From what I can find, the hole in the knob was the only variation, and, I finally got the pic of the bolt knob to enlarge, and that's not factory. I can tell you why it was done though.
Scopes were becoming popular after the Model 54 came out, because the '06 would shoot farther than grampa's 30/30. The 54 bolt would make contact with most scopes at the time, so the simple solution was to grind the top of the ball flat, and spruce it up with some hand file checkering.
The bells and tubes on the scopes were getting bigger, and that "grind and file" work carried over into the early Model 70's. Winchester corrected the bolt handle profile to accommodate. Decades later, bolts came jeweled, with a smaller profile knob, and a knurled ring around it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the information i really appreciate it.
From what I can find, the hole in the knob was the only variation, and, I finally got the pic of the bolt knob to enlarge, and that's not factory. I can tell you why it was done though.
Scopes were becoming popular after the Model 54 came out, because the '06 would shoot farther than grampa's 30/30. The 54 bolt would make contact with most scopes at the time, so the simple solution was to grind the top of the ball flat, and spruce it up with some hand file checkering.
The bells and tubes on the scopes were getting bigger, and that "grind and file" work carried over into the early Model 70's. Winchester corrected the bolt handle profile to accommodate. Decades later, bolts came jeweled, with a smaller profile knob, and a knurled ring around it.
Thats nice to know ,Thank you sir you are a gentleman and a scholar!

·
Super Moderator
9,282 Posts
You're welcome sir, my pleasure.
Forgot to say earlier, for a 1937 Model 70, that's a good looking rifle! Couple of trivia facts about the Model 70, you'll see a first year production date of 1936, but the first 19 rifles were made in 1935. One if not the first rifles, to have a factory Stainless Steel barrel introduced with the .220 Swift in 1936. The barrels were painted black with "Japan Black".

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The stocks on these were quarter sawed which exposes more figure. Beautiful rifle, I never had a Super Grade pre 64. I did have a small collection of M70s years ago. I had two standard m70s with factory Lyman receiver sights installed. One was set up same as OPs with scope. I also got the sight.
I ended up selling the rifle with base still on it. Just in last couple months I sold that sight on another forum. Only pre 64 I have left is only one I got new, 70FW 308. Just my luck to be born late. My gun buying was just getting started when Win folded. I had as many as 24 m70s at one time. Had a lot of dupes. Only had two that were lousy shooters. That was 264mg. 1st one was like new and it shot terrible. Second was NIB but I wasn’t original owner. It shot terrible also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got this one without knowing what it was. I mean I knew it was a real (u.s.a) and old winchester but for me at the time, it was just a bolt action rifle that an old and aged friend was looking to sell . I paid 700$ .
He said " I dont have any sons, and my 2 daughters are married to one of these Vegan-people so I choose to sell it to you since u're looking for a bolt action . Tomorrow is deer-hunting day so , and you have a "rendez-vous" with some deer u're gonna find "
When I came home I showed it to my father and I remember him saying " heyyy that's an original!! hummm... There is something about the aesthetic and the line of this gun that makes it .. super sexy!.."😆🤣
I did took it with me the next day but I didn't find any deer or whatsoever 😆.
That was 10 years ago .
I still hunt with it , and God knows, that being proud of yourself, your family and your gun is what makes us true Americans 🇺🇸

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Actually prices on Pre 64 m70s are getting soft. Especially on post war standard models in the popular chambering. The old Super Grade would not fall into that niche. Their is still a few people with class who enjoy hunting with a piece of Americana. Any pre 64 Win NIB or extremely good condition will always sought by collectors. I was flabbergasted at first on classic gun prices until I figured out the market. Shooter grade classics are not sought by the new generation. They want latest hi tech rifle of stainless & synthetics. They arent going to pay the price of one of these wonder guns for a good old classic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a shame but i'm afraid you're right. Many of my friends ask me if it aint to heavy a rifle to carry all day. But nothing beats the pleasure of nice walnut and forged steel put together.
I do understand the practical side of it of course, but i find these new guns with no personality at all. Idk mybe its just me. I guess it depends on the person

1 - 19 of 19 Posts