The Firearms Forum banner

winchester model 92

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2bit 
#1 ·
I have a 92 in 32/20 that's in the 100000 serial range. the barrel looks newer and is stamped 32wcf 39. does this mean the barrel was manufactured in 1939 and I can use modern ammunition or should I stick to cowboy action munitions? thanks

#2 ·
The serial number indicates that it is a Model "1892" and it should be marked as such on the upper tang behind the hammer. If the barrel is marked "92", that is a sure sign that it is a much latter replacement barrel. Regardless of when a Model 1892 or Model 92 was manufactured, it is perfectly safe to shoot modern manufactured ammo of the correct cartridge.

Bert H.
WACA Historian

#3 ·
thanks for your reply. the tang is marked 1892 some case hardened color still present on body of receiver. the barrel is indeed marked model 92 and still has 80 % of bluing with some mild rust spots. magazine tube matches barrel in condition and color. forearm slightly lighter color than buttstock with no metal fore end cap but with blued barrel band. magazine tube band matches receiver and is dovetailed and pinned. I'm thinking everything in front of receiver except magazine tube band has at some point been replaced. do you know the magazine capacity? this magazine measures 19 1/8" from tube plug to face of receiver. thanks again

#5 ·
> the magazine capacity is (14) for the standard 20-inch barrel and magazine tube.<

I think you have OOPSed there, Bert.

OAL of a 32/20 is 1.592", x 14 rounds comes to 22.288 inches.

I think that 14 is the capacity of a 24" rifle, not a 20" carbine.

My 92 carbines are all Rossi, but they hold ten rounds. That comes to 16 inches, leaving four for follower and compressed spring.

Reactions: Potter
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.