winchester model 94

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by moses84, Mar 31, 2009.

1. moses84

moses84 New Member

My mother inherited a winchester model 94 and the serial number is low 80,000's just cant think of it off hand. I do know the gun was made in 1897. I was just wondering what it would be worth in today's market? The gun is intact and in mint condition.

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

serial number range... 1916 production started with 784053, 1917 started @ 807742 and 1921 @ 880628. these numbers are from www.proofhouse.com the value depends on condition ( pictures would help) one mans good condition is another mans poor. it subjective. also what caliber is it ?

3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Oscar, put on your glasses :D I think he is right on the year of maunufacture because you are thinking in the 800 thousand range and his gun is in the 80 thousand range. As I am sure you know that was time when rifles and carbine both were being made and many "special" features were available that could make the gun worth thousands of dollars. Without pictures all we know is that he has an early production model 94 Winchester that perhaps looks mint because it has been refinished???

Ron

4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

good call on the glasses . for christ sake i'll get the hang of these bi-focals one of these days. but look at it this way my info was right but it wasn't for his gun :p

5. muddober

muddober Active Member

Oscar, that was funny. You think you have problems with bi-focals? Apparently you are not a pilot. I have bi-focals in both the top and bottom of my glasses so I can read gauges and switches above my head. There have been a couple of times when I have forgotten them and had to put my single bi-focals on upside down. That sure gives passengers a warm and fuzzy.

6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

and you wonder why i dont fly....

7. moses84

moses84 New Member

well ok ill get some pictures of the weapon and post it tonight. I hope it is worth thousands of dollars that would be great.

8. moses84

moses84 New Member

here are some pics of my mom's winchester model 94. sorry my camera would get in close enough to actually see the numbers or any writing on the gun itself. so hopefully this helps you guys with the worth of the gun and its condition it is in. thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

9. moses84

moses84 New Member

some more picture's.

Attached Files:

10. moses84

moses84 New Member

oh and the caliber on the gun says 30. so im guessing that means 30-30

11. muddober

muddober Active Member

Yes it is a 30-30 and it is a standard rifle with no special features making it sell new for about $15.00. The bad news is that someone has drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope mount which kills it for a true collector. In my opinion you have between a three and four hundred dollar gun. Without the extra holes it might bring a grand in the condition it is in, meaning mechanically it looks great but most of the finish is gone.