Winchester Supreme Cases

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by flannelman, Mar 31, 2009.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have shot several boxes of Win Supreme ammo and was wondering about the reloadability of these cases. I think they are just brass that has a silver finish on the outside but I'm not sure so I thought I'd ask. Has anyone ever reloaded these??

2. army mp

army mp Member

They are nickel plated, just like some pistol ammo. The only thing about nickel plated it’s a little more brittle than plain brass. I find I don’t get as many loads out of it as I do the plain stuff.

3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, it's just nickel-plated brass. Just as reloadable as regular brass except as army mp noted the nickel-plating process causes a wee bit of hydrogen imbrittlement in the cases and you'll probably get a few less loadings out of them before they start splitting necks. I still get 6 or 7 loads out of my .25-06 brass before I see any splitting though, so that's acceptable for me.

Another thing to beware is that since the nickel-plating is harder than the brass, you'll want to make sure the brass is clean before running them through your dies. Instead of letting any grit on the cases get embedded in the brass, the nickel will trap it between the case wall and the die and can scuff the dies over time. (I did this to my first set of .25-06 dies...once they got scuffed up, they would put little scratches even on virgin brass). Since I started tumbling the brass before resizing I've had no problems with scratches in the new dies.

I like nickel-plated brass for hunting use. I find them easier to spot on the ground than brass, especially in the fall when the grass is brown.

I also use nickel for all of my 25-06 brass since we had a (thankfully) minor mishap when dad was sighting in his .270 a few years back. Turns out he had grabbed a box of my .25-06 and couldn't get his rifle to group worth a darn for some reason. :eek: Since then, my .25-06 gets only nickel and his .270 gets only brass...and I further sort the ammo with different colored plastic boxes for each caliber too.

4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Hey thanks for the info. I'm glad he didn't have any trouble other than getting it sighted in.