The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
We have been in the midst of an almost epidemic attack from wild Hogs. For miles around, front yards, back yards, citrus groves & cattle ranches look like someone took an industrial sized rototiller to them. Even the back road shoulders for miles at a stretch appear to have been visited by a maniacal Ditch Witch. Our property is riddled with huge cages, baited & waiting for a hungry tusker to grab some corn mixed with peanut butter. Some of the males have gone 5-600 lbs. Even the so-called babies go 150 lbs or better. That's a lot of ham. Unfortunately, I've been told it's against the law to shoot them, but lately, in the quiet darkness of the cool winters night the woods in the back 40 sound like a war zone. I don't think everyone got the memo.
We would have to don some long pants & a flannel shirt since some nights get all the way down to 50's & 60's. But the Crappe are just getting ready to spawn & the lake is lighting up like a Christmas tree with the colored lights on the pontoon boats in the cane & lily pads. No snow in the forecast!

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
Down here we have squirrel season that runs from Oct. 1 to Feb. 23. Deer is Nov. 2 to Jan. 5, but with stipulations. We have different dates for hunting on Managed Lands. And for hunting doe's and buck's. Not to mention the size of a buck's rack as to whether it's legal to take, or not.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
We have been in the midst of an almost epidemic attack from wild Hogs. For miles around, front yards, back yards, citrus groves & cattle ranches look like someone took an industrial sized rototiller to them. Even the back road shoulders for miles at a stretch appear to have been visited by a maniacal Ditch Witch. Our property is riddled with huge cages, baited & waiting for a hungry tusker to grab some corn mixed with peanut butter. Some of the males have gone 5-600 lbs. Even the so-called babies go 150 lbs or better. That's a lot of ham. Unfortunately, I've been told it's against the law to shoot them, but lately, in the quiet darkness of the cool winters night the woods in the back 40 sound like a war zone. I don't think everyone got the memo.
We would have to don some long pants & a flannel shirt since some nights get all the way down to 50's & 60's. But the Crappe are just getting ready to spawn & the lake is lighting up like a Christmas tree with the colored lights on the pontoon boats in the cane & lily pads. No snow in the forecast!
Not sure who told you it's against the law to shoot them....check out this link...https://myfwc.com/hunting/wild-hog/

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I have a 22-250 that's been waiting quietly to smack some coyotes. Woe be any hogs that stumble my way. MO has an "alternate method" deer season in late Dec-early Jan. Legal weapons are muzzleloaders, centerfire handguns (.40 cal. or larger) and archery. Archery for deer is open until mid-Jan. When Feb. rolls around I'm beginning to think trout fishing.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Late season we have some Elk hunts. Sometimes with 2 feet of snow on the ground! Most everything is over after the end of December however we do have some Oryx hunts all year long. I have hunted Oryx in January and February in central NM. Here is a big buck Muley watching us as we struggled to track some Elk. He wasn't worried, he was out of season! He is right in the center of that picture!
DCP_2225.JPG

·
GUNZILLA
5,944 Posts
To be totally honest I'll hunt a good bottle of Cognac or Single malt scotch in the winter.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,868 Posts
Good Morning...Only a few days ago I posted an incident where this care-giver was heading
to the patients home and she was attacked and killed by wild hogs...The story, though
expressing grief, seemed almost as if it were common place...Dang, I recall even around
domesticated swine...cleaning around a new mother and happen to make one of the piglets
squeek, you'd have to bail over the pen fence in a hurry...that open, slobbering
fang-filled mouth of the mother lends all the incentive of self-protection an agile farm boy needed!! Chief

·
Registered
87 Posts
Squirrels, coyotes and snowshoe rabbits are the game I pursue during the winter months in season. I usually combine calling coyotes with squirrel hunting. I call in the early morning, and if I do not get any responses after a few setups, I swithch to squirrel hunting as the little buggers like to sleep late in the winter. I should point out that I am hunting with a .36 caliber muzzle loader. I hunt mostly on state land, and I am limited to either .22 rimfires or a up to a .36 caliber muzzle loader using patched round ball. I have rarely called in more than one coyote at a time, so I do not feel handicapped with just one shot. The .36 really puts them down, whereas when I have used a .22 magnum, the results were not as good.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Just say when. All we need is a place to park my 5th wheel. Can be there Jan. 1st.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts