The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wm Malcom scope from the 1860-70's. I cannot find any real information on the scope or it's value. I'm hoping that a member can help me out.
It is 35 1/2 inches long, missing the front mount. Good condition and optics considering its age. I would guess its magnification to be 10x plus.
Thanks for any help!
Blue Light Eye Iris Circle
Metal
Wood Floor Hardwood Wood stain Wood flooring
Product Pipe Metal

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
You have a very desirable scope on your hands but it is too rare to place an accurate value on. There are not enough recent sales to get a proper value. It would be of great interest to someone with a vintage Sharps or similar rifle. If you want to sell it i would put it on eBay and it will bring a fair price. If you are just looking for a value all I can do is offer an educated guess and that would be 500 plus and maybe double that. The lack of a mount is not good but not the end since many reproductions are out there. What metal is the eyepiece made from. Most were brass. Yous looks like it may be silver plated brass which would have been possible for the period. A lot of brass was silver plated at the time. It is often tarnished black.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a very desirable scope on your hands but it is too rare to place an accurate value on. There are not enough recent sales to get a proper value. It would be of great interest to someone with a vintage Sharps or similar rifle. If you want to sell it i would put it on eBay and it will bring a fair price. If you are just looking for a value all I can do is offer an educated guess and that would be 500 plus and maybe double that. The lack of a mount is not good but not the end since many reproductions are out there. What metal is the eyepiece made from. Most were brass. Yous looks like it may be silver plated brass which would have been possible for the period. A lot of brass was silver plated at the time. It is often tarnished black.
Thanks for your input. There is some original bluing on the underside. So i assume it's a steel tube. (no magnet test yet). I have been told by several collectors that a value of $1500 to $2000 would not be unreasonable. Now to find that buyer!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts