The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cleaning out a cabinet where I've stored ammo for twenty-some years and with buying and selling guns the ammo has stayed behind, not sold with the guns. I have one batch of fifty rifle rounds. I'm using my father-in-law's old micrometer, hand adjusted and hard to read. After getting the micrometer setting and measuring it with a good ruler, the diameter of the bullet appears to be 3/8". The headstamp on most is PS 1946. A few have only the numbers "99" and "98". Am I correct that these are 7mm?. I did have a Spanish bolt action rifle in that caliber which I traded off long ago.

Also, what is a good way of disposing of these rounds? I don't think the Thrift Stores will take them. I guess I could run an ad in the small advertising papers offering to give them away. Shipping on them would negate any value they may have. Thanks for suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
28,074 Posts
It would help if you could post some pics. A 7mm will measure .284 diameter. The one with 99 and 98 on the headstamp is the manufacture dates. Photos, photos, photos.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Give them to your local gunsmith. He will very much appreciate the odd test ammo and likely give you cut rate services and or quicker turn around times in return.

·
Registered
570 Posts
3/8 is .375. A pic would help wonders, or at least explain the cartridge. Case length? Diameter? Belted? Rimmed? A little help goes a long ways.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Pictures of the box label if there is one and the head stamps would help a bunch. You might find a buyer on this site if we knew what you had.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never mind, I found it on Google. P S is the headstamp of Pirotechnica de Seville Spain. As noted 1946 is the year of loading. I remember now in the late 80's taking in this rifle in 7 X 57 caliber and the man I got it from had 100 rounds of ammo. I fired a few and gave away a few and have these left over. Can't remember what I did with the rifle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts