The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on Wolf Small Rifle Primers for use in 223 Rem to be shot from an AR15?

I have some of these manufactured i '07 that I'd like to use to reload for my AR. It seems that half the people out there say they are fine, but the other half say you have to have mil spec or magnum primers.

I'd just like to know if these are safe for AR loads. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,000 Posts
I have been using Wolf small rifle primers ever since they first came out and yes I use them in .223 that I shoot through the AR-15. I also use Wolf small pistol, large rifle, and large pistol. I have never had a problem with any of them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue, just stick to established load data.
Haven't used Wolf brand primers but plenty of the regular brands (CCI, Winchester, Federal, etc) small rifle standard primers for .223 Rem.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I’ve been told horror stories about using these, so I thought I’d ask.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I didn’t even know Wolf made primers. Shouldn’t be surprised. The last batch I bought were Tula. I had some misgivings about them but they have worked really well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I didn’t even know Wolf made primers. Shouldn’t be surprised. The last batch I bought were Tula. I had some misgivings about them but they have worked really well.
Wolf is just an importer out of California, both Wolf & Tula primers are made by the same company in Russia Primers for cartridges of service, sportive & hunting arms | АО Муромский приборостроительный завод I have several K of various sizes in both pistol and rifle and they are great primer.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,856 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if I could cut out the middleman without Donny finding out.
Doubtful. There are all kinds of primers available just across the northern border, but we can't get them.

Reactions: Larry Isaacs

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So according to the link in post #9, Murom has three classes of Boxer Small Rifle Primers, Standard, Magnum, and 5.56 NATO. This is different to what is advertised at WOLF; Standard, .223 Rem, and Magnum. They do list a Small Rifle Magnum Berdan Primer for .223, but not Boxer. This only adds to my confusion. My head hurts.

I think what I'll have to do is to prime a case with a Standard Primer and no powder or bullet, and torture test it until when/if it slam fires.

·
Registered
17,773 Posts
I use them. Wish I had more than 2 boxes left. 10-12 us ago they were some of the most economical

·
Registered
276 Posts
So according to the link in post #9, Murom has three classes of Boxer Small Rifle Primers, Standard, Magnum, and 5.56 NATO. This is different to what is advertised at WOLF; Standard, .223 Rem, and Magnum. They do list a Small Rifle Magnum Berdan Primer for .223, but not Boxer. This only adds to my confusion. My head hurts.

I think what I'll have to do is to prime a case with a Standard Primer and no powder or bullet, and torture test it until when/if it slam fires.
Wolf/Tula Small Rifle SR #KVB-223 - soft, sensitive copper cup, not recommended for AR15/military rifle use or high pressure rounds.

Wolf/Tula Small Rifle 223 SR223 - #KVB-223M "This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite."

Wolf/Tula Small Rifle Magnum SRM - hard, less sensitive brass cup intended for AR15/military rifle and high pressure rounds - #KVВ-5,56M, I have about 1K of these prime that I used to load my Remington 7.62 × 39 brass with small primer pockets.

Other primer recommended for using in 223 / 5.56 loads in semi auto rifles are.

CCI #41, 450, BR4 (#41 & 450 good with ball powder)
Federal 205, 205M
Remington 7 1/2 BR (good with ball powder)
Winchester WSR (good with ball powder)

I highly doubt that we will ever see any Russian primers in the states ever again as long as the ban on certain Russian companies one of them being the primer mfg. still exist.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wolf/Tula Small Rifle SR #KVB-223 - soft, sensitive copper cup, not recommended for AR15/military rifle use or high pressure rounds.

Wolf/Tula Small Rifle 223 SR223 - #KVB-223M "This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite."

Wolf/Tula Small Rifle Magnum SRM - hard, less sensitive brass cup intended for AR15/military rifle and high pressure rounds - #KVВ-5,56M, I have about 1K of these prime that I used to load my Remington 7.62 × 39 brass with small primer pockets.

Other primer recommended for using in 223 / 5.56 loads in semi auto rifles are.

CCI #41, 450, BR4 (#41 & 450 good with ball powder)
Federal 205, 205M
Remington 7 1/2 BR (good with ball powder)
Winchester WSR (good with ball powder)

I highly doubt that we will ever see any Russian primers in the states ever again as long as the ban on certain Russian companies one of them being the primer mfg. still exist.
That’s what I’m talking about. Wolf lists the small rifle 223 as NC223. Here, you listed it as #KVB-223M. On Murom’s site it lists small rifle 223 as #KVB-223, small rifle magnums as #KVB-223M, and small rifle 5.56 as #KVB-5.56M. It gets a little confusing. Apparently Tulammo listed them this way too.
1865874B-2CC1-46E4-9EB0-5A6E5040CC41.png

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, but somebody is really overthinking this whole thing.
Not really. There are some that tell me that regular small rifle primers will have catastrophic failures, possibly causing injury, while others are saying not to worry about it. This is doubly concerning over Wolf primers’ confusing descriptions; which is what the majority of my primers are. I simply want to be able to reload my 223, probably at the lower end of the load data, and not blow my face off or go full auto when chambering a round.

·
Super Moderator
26,856 Posts
You're right, it's your firearm and you should take all the safety precautions you feel necessary. With the primer market the way it is, you may get to shoot that AR in a year or two. And if you're worried about it going "full auto" from a "slam fire", you've got bigger problems to deal with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts