The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been helping a friend for awhile get into reloading . Same friend with the 1911 and Winchester pump 22 mag in other posts I made . We got to talking about some of the things I told him about reloading when he started . 1. I showed him pictures of a bulged barrel and squib load barrels that blew . 2 . Research , research , research . 3. don't multi task while reloading . What were things you told or got told yourself that you always think about when reloading .

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
One thing and one thing only as it covers all bases, PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,729 Posts
Read the manuals or have an expert teacher/mentor who can guide you through each step.

Check and re-check, particularly brass condition and powder load.

Take your time, relax, enjoy and give the reloading your entire attention.

Always come back to ask questions of your friends here at TFF.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I like the "pay attention to detail". Couple of things I'd add is

- keep your bench clear of anything you're not using to reload THAT caliber with;

- don't reload if your are distracted by anything:

- NEVER reload with data that isn't published in a reloading manual;

- Don't guess at anything. Reloading is an exact science unto itself.

- Last - stay organized and stay clean. A cluttered or crowded reloading bench can lead to bad things happening.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Never had a teacher for reloading but along with the above mentioned advise....

Read those "how to" sections in the front of the manuals. The Lee book is pretty much in plain English and has good information once you get past all the "our stuff is the best" comments in it.
NEVER start out trying max load data!
Having several manuals to cross check load data is a good thing (typos happen).

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Be sure the empty cases are DRY inside.
Be sure the primers are seated all the way.
You MUST trim fired bottleneck cartridges or they won't chamber. (Maybe not the first time, but soon after.)
An inertial bullet puller is worth the small cost.

I never saw the need for "several" reloading manuels.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Only 1 powder on bench-preferably directly behind powder measure-----I'm breaking this rule now by having 2400 in RCBS Uniflow on Lyman turret and having LilGun in Uniflow on 2nd shelf of bench...both are clearly marked and 1lb jug is sitting beside them...Be warned
Cross reference load data in books and interweb...Both Sierra and Hornady have made serious mistakes with Trail Boss and .300Wh-severe compression-try it yourself-put 7grs TB in and smash down a 2-220gr bullet-let sit for a week-pull bullet---powder is a solid,can;t be good.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
With the help of the members of this forum and advice from my brother (reloading for forty years), I moved along with my reloading. Starting with the lowest load for a given caliber was/is very important. Assuming seating dies are always holding their calibration, loading 50 or so cases after the initial check before rechecking the load was another eye-opening moment. These two events caused me to disassemble a number of rounds. I the one thing I will always remember if you are not sure about a round, take it down and check, the small amount of powder, a bullet, or even sacrifice a case, but don't shoot it until you are sure. Ask questions, no question is dumb.

Larry

·
Registered
467 Posts
Only 1 powder on bench-preferably directly behind powder measure-----I'm breaking this rule now by having 2400 in RCBS Uniflow on Lyman turret and having LilGun in Uniflow on 2nd shelf of bench
ACTUALLY, I think that's a BETTER rule: One propellant bottle PER POWDER MEASURE, on the reloading bench, ESPECIALLY if they contain different powders.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I did not have a reloading mentor when I began reloading. Looking back it was foolish of me and I should have asked for help. My advice is slow down and Ask For Help from an experience re loader. Also, Read, Read and and read as much as you can stand and never stop reading about the subject. Reading many TFF post saved my butt.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
For when you get your ammo reloaded and start shooting your reloads - if something does not sound right or feel right, STOP IMMEDIATELY!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts