The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of these proposals in Congress are very comprehensive. I believe HR 141 proposes background checks for all ammo and components like powder, primers, brass, bullets, etc.

We already pay a steep haz mat fee for powders and primers, so I would think that if you add a background check fee at a local FFL, that would effectively stop Internet purchases of ammo and components.

I know one thing, it would give me significant pause....

·
Banned
10,193 Posts
ABC freaking lootly it would.

They start this crap and they might as well background check everyone buying cleaning supplies too.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
just like banning guns, this is the same idiotic logic.

cause we all know that mass shooters are avid reloaders....

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's sad that it has gotten to this point. They are having a hard time banning our guns. So they are targeting ammunition and componets. Although, this is not the first time they habe gone after our ammo. The background check would not stop me from buying though. Ill buy as long as I can. This needs to be fought every step of the way too. Needs to be treated the same as if they were going for the guns.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
No it would not stop me, in fact it would most likely make me buy in larger quantities.
I buy guns on line & ship them through my FFL dealer if I had to buy ammo too it wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I would still buy but like Smoke I would by more quantity per purchase.Background checks dont cost me anything so no big deal.I probably get pounded for saying this but I think its all a bunch of chest pounding from the president and I dont think much is gonna come from all this.Just my opinion but I know somebody will disagree and thats ok Ive got broad shoulders.:)

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Some of these proposals in Congress are very comprehensive. I believe HR 141 proposes background checks for all ammo and components like powder, primers, brass, bullets, etc.

We already pay a steep haz mat fee for powders and primers, so I would think that if you add a background check fee at a local FFL, that would effectively stop Internet purchases of ammo and components.

I know one thing, it would give me significant pause....
gone would be the days of running into gander or the local pawn shop to grab 1 more tray of 100 primers (3$ ) to finish a load out batch.. when the call in fee is likely to be 5-8$

so yeah.. my habbits would change.. i think I'd buy max allowed primer and powders and projectiles any time i was doing a call in.

what might be ok is if you could piggyback a ammo purchase with a gun.

ie.. stop in to buy that gun you've been wanting..and while at it.. pick up, powder, primers, lead, loaded ammo.. brass.. etc. all on one call in.

though i still hate the idea of a call in on ammo / components... :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
A single background check, much line the one done when you get a handgun permit in most states, would not be an issue for me.

The best idea I've heard in a long time came from a retired Master Trooper from the Indiana state police, and a long time MP from the National Guard/Active Duty (Three tours in the sand box)...

Right on your drivers licence,
in Green if you are legal to own handguns, high cap mags, ect.
FC (Firearms Cleared)
CC (Concealed Carry)
HT (Hunting & Target)
FR (Firearms Restricted To Long Guns)

Then in Red,
FP (Firearms Prohibited)
FF (Firearms Felony)

Give the power to the Judicial System to confiscate the drives licence on the spot when a potential felony or mental illness is addressed, just like what is done right now in many states with DUI/OWI (Driving Under Influence/Operating While Intoxicated) and many states confiscate handgun permits in the cases of domestic battery or other potential issues.

With a glance, this would give gun shops, private sellers, ect. and INSTANT way to be reasonably sure they are NOT selling to prohibited persons.

This would also give law enforcement an INSTANT way to tell if that hollow point bullet they just found in a felon's vehicle is a misdemeanor or felony, and if they should do further investigation/take more precautions.

This wouldn't interfere with the 'Rights' of a mental patient by singling them out as such, it would simply give the people that should know a way of identifying the folks that SHOULD NOT have firearms.

In our state, it's a one time fee of about $160 to have the background check done and get a lifetime Handgun Permit, and I'd be glad to do the same if it would stop 'Gray Market' sales to people that should NOT have firearms in the first place.

The last thing I want to do is supply the firearms, ammunition, ect. to some guy that uses it to kill people...

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It would not change my buying habits at all. And that's a good thing for my local gun shop.

·
Super Moderator
47,183 Posts
I already have a Georgia Firearms License and don't have to get a background check when I buy a gun. I imagine that it would also cover powder and primers so NO I wouldn't do anything different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not 'Different' in a lot of states, just not uniform in all states.
In Illinois you need a 'Firearms Ownership Identification Card' to buy ammo, and if you have firearms anyway, not such a bad idea...

My buying habits are about the same every year, I reload about 1,000 rounds for my rifles in the winter, shoot them up in the summer, repeat...

I think the permits, ownership, ect.,
And any RESTRICTIONS should be printed on the drivers licence for all to see.
Saves me trying to dig out my licence and carry around a dozen other pieces of paper, and gives Law Enforcement/Shops instant reference if the person in front of them should be buying or not...

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
a universal licensing system where your CCW printed on your DL might be ok for LEO purposes. but remember.. every time you have to use your DL.. like writing a check.. others get to see you are a ccw holder..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I wouldn't do anything different either.. cept bitch about it taking longer to get what I needed..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.