Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Would like some info on this gun. help please.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by james92, Apr 29, 2009.

1. james92

james92 New Member

When My grandfather past away he left me this gun, but I know nothing about it and would like to know some info on it they people may be aware of. He kept it hanging on a wall with a civil war calvary sabre, but im sure the gun isn't that old. Tried looking on the internet, but could only find some similar but not the same thing.
    DSC00549.JPG

DSC00555.JPG

DSC00556.JPG

DSC00550.JPG

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You're right, it's not that old. I can't read what it says on the receiver, but according to the buttplate, it's a Stevens.

The J. Stevens Arms Company was founded in 1864 at Chicopee Falls, MA, as J. Stevens and Co. In 1886 the name was changed to J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. In 1916 the plant became New England Westinghouse, and tooled up for Mosin-Nagant Rifles. In 1920, the plant was sold to the Savage Arms Corp. and manufactured arms were marked "J. Stevens Arms Co." This designation was dropped in the late '40s, and only the name "Stevens" has been used up to 1990.

They made a variety of inexpensive single and double barrel shotguns, single shot pistols and single shot and bolt action rifles. It looks, in the fourth pic, like it just says "Stevens" on the receiver, so that would make it made from around 1950 up to around 1990.

In 1990 it would have probably sold for 60 bucks. In 1950, probably for around 10. Might be worth 60 to 70 dollars, today, if the buttplate wasn't broken. An original buttplate for it would probably cost 25 bucks.

3. buttchin

buttchin New Member

hey how long is there barrel i have a 36inch barrel gun that looks simmilar to that and its called a long tom

4. james92

james92 New Member

The barrel is 30 inches long.