The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flea market vendor near me has a new (old stock) box of 1,000 large pistol primers (Remington) for $45.... I don't know how old they are...LGS was getting $67.50 / 1,000 last time I was in, but had no large pistol primers in stock...I am willing to pay $45, but don't know the vintage and have never used Remington primers... Would you buy them, I need them for 45 Long Colt ???? ..thks..Dan

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've used Remington primers without any issues. Still taking a chance buying second hand, but if you trust the seller, sounds like a fair deal. Good luck Dan

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
Not a thing wrong with Remington primers. Supposedly they are a little softer than the others but that's never been an issue for me....if it's even true. If I needed them and they looked good, with today's foolishness yes, I'd buy them.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the replies... My concern is the age, and that I have never used Remington. I have, however, shot up an awful lot of Remington ammo over the last 60 years. I guess I better buy them cause there doesn't seem to be a plethora of them available... Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it...

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
Last summer....maybe early fall, I used the last of some Winchester primers from the 60's and CCI's from maybe the 60's, certainly the 70's, that had been kept in a guys garage in Las Vegas, Nevada. Hardly ideal conditions. Never had a failure.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I have some in the little wood boxes(along with unopened 60-70yr old powder),have'nt used them because I figure I'll run into a collector some day and give them all.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Shooting buddy died, I cleaned out all his reloading gear. Powder, primers and bullets. Some of the powder canisters had the bottom falling out of them from age.
All the powder made good fertilizer.
Passed the bullets off to guys that shot them.
Primers? Large Rifle Remingtons from the 60's. Shot every one in my M1A and NEVER had a dud.:cool:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replies... My concern is the age, and that I have never used Remington. I have, however, shot up an awful lot of Remington ammo over the last 60 years. I guess I better buy them cause there doesn't seem to be a plethora of them available... Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it...
Come to think of it, I got some military FA 30-06 primed case's that work fine. They were made in 1949!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....box looks good, just doesn't look like "brand new"..if I was guessing, I would guess the box from 80's or 90's......I guess they wanna come home with me, as I am low on large pistol primers..

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
....box looks good, just doesn't look like "brand new"..if I was guessing, I would guess the box from 80's or 90's......I guess they wanna come home with me, as I am low on large pistol primers..
If they were small pistol primers instead, I would be on them like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Elvis ammo on youtube had a video i watch today. he had a variety of questionable primers that were stored in basements sheds etc. the boxes looked horrible but the primer looked fine not all corroded he loaded up 10 rounds of each variety of primers. all functioned without fail. to give an idea of age one box of 100 primers was priced $1.49. one box of 1000 was $6.75

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I'd be on those primers like stink on a monkey.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts