The Firearms Forum banner

Would you modify / customize it?

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  techoca 
#1 ·
So i have a springfield G.I. model. so far i havent done anything to it, but im thinking of having the ejection port lowered and maybe some trigger work done. (just for now) Ive heard that the mil-spec pistols are a dying breed, (not sure if there is truth to this) but do you think it is a bad idea to lightly modify the pistol?

it is a carry pistol, and a hobby shooter, so it will be and is showing some holster wear anyway.

thanks

#3 ·
thats pretty much the way i feel. thats why i bought a springfield and not a lesser name. i wanted a good starting point. well, that and i couldnt afford a colt, but im very happy so far. no complaints, just picky "suggestions"

#4 ·
It's your pistol do what you like. Modifications are a fun thing for any 1911. I once owned an old military 1911 that wouldn't group all the rounds on a paper plate at 25 yards. I had work done as I could afford it and each step made a difference. I started with a trigger job, next was a lowered and flaired ejection port, then better sights, then fitting a match barrel and bushing. After a while I owned a real tack driver. I ended up trading the pistol for an almost new Colt and some cash. A good thing about a 1911 is the possibilities are limitless. :)

#5 ·
glad to hear it shooter, as far as im concerned you hit the nail on the head. thats why i have been in love with 1911's long before i owned one.

I went shooting the other day with my buddy who has a glock .45 (pardon my ignorance i dont know the model name, i think its a glock 22) and he was all over the place. i was shooting well (for my level) i was talking about working on the gun and he asked if i knew where he could take his and what he could do. after i told him to learn the fundamentals, i just said..."ahhhhh, ummmm, i dont know of a glock shop, i told you to get a 1911" and i just smiled :)

shooter, if you dont mind me asking, what did the match barrel and bushing cost you? and was it well worth the investment in accuracy? Mine is a carry pistol, but i love to go show them up at the range

#6 ·
The Kart NM Barrel is the most accurate IMHO and the cost is around $150 from Brownells. I would master the barrel you have before upgrading to Kart. When you get all the accuracy you are capable of with your pistol, it's time for a new barrel. Have the existing barrel fitted and a NM bushing installed first unless you want to have everything done in one package. :)

#7 ·
ok, good info, thanks. i know i have a long way to come as a shooter. and practice and learning how to shoot cost a lot less than building a fantastic gun that i dont know what to do with. i think i will just let it go and see how far i can go with the barrel as is. but i still want to do some minor stuff

#8 ·
if'n it was mine i would lower and flare the ejection port. bevel the magazine well, polish the feed ramp and shoot the fire out of it.

#10 ·
im glad to hear that it looks like we all agree. I think the sights will be later though just because i want to get better at shooting with the stock ones so that when i put on some nice novak's or something its like WOW!!!

besides, if the gun wont fire, correct sight picture and point of aim dont mean anything

thanks for the advice, im going to tear into the gun today

#13 ·
absolutley, i will get some pics of the progress

#14 ·
Depends on what you intend as a purpose for the pistol.

If it's a general purpose and defense gun, all it needs is a decent and simple set of non-adjustable, higher visibility sights, perhaps a minor amount of trigger work and perhaps a ramp job.

I've never found the ejection port modification to make much difference with standard ammo. Similarly, the beveled magazine well doesn't really do much for normal use.

If this is to be a competition gun, then one finds a mechanic who does the alterations for the discipline you follow, give him the gun and a deposit of two months pay and wait.

It's an interesting question about modifying a gun. I knew a guy who once took a Ruger Flatop - first edition - Super Blackhawk (or whatever they called them in those days) .44 Magnum and cut it back to five inches. Current collectors wince, but at the time it was a production gun.

Your Springfield is not a rarity today (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) but it might be in twenty years. Who knew all those surplus M1911s from the DCM and NRA that sold for $17.50 in the late '40s and '50s were going to be collectibles?

Just ain't no telling.

#15 ·
good points archie. thanks

#16 ·
mayb it could use some minor smoothing but the real question is why //? does it not feed well ? a competent gunsmith could smooth and debur the thing and make it a better carry/shooter and as far as them going out of faver well this design has been around about a hundred years and is thought by most serious pistol shooters to be one of the best type of defensive handgun and it is far and away the most popular .

also if you want a quality barrell and bushing you might try the "storm lake" with bushing in stainless it is one of the best and reasonably priced as well.:)

#18 ·
thanks johnboat, good points. as for the reson why is because i get occasional times where the round doesnt completly feed. the slide stayes back about 1/4 inch from battery. this is not on the last round in the mag, so i dont think it is the mag. it could very well be that the gun is just not broken in yet. but i figured a little cleaning and polishing cant hurt.

sounds good suwannee tim. I will be doing sights at some point, but im not sure what yet. i need to become a better shooter first and try out different sights to make my decision.

thanks

#20 · (Edited)
Goneracin,

I had my gunsmith install some inexpensive sights on my GI model. The GI is my oldest boy's range gun.

FWIW, we shoot hand loaded 200gr LSWC bullets through the gun. The only work that we have done to our GI is to adjust the extractor, and smooth the trigger. We are fortunate as this weapon already had a nice trigger pull.

Some pics for you to ponder the sights.

techoca

Attachments

#21 ·
thats a really nice looking GI techoca.

I took the gun apart this weekend and polished the feed ramp, barrel, and as much of the slide rails as i can. it seems like the slide moves better now (not that it was rough before) and when chambering a round by just clicking the slide release it pops right into battery. I cant tell if it is actually any better, i will have to put rounds down range to see got sure. I goy pictures, but i didnt get them on the computer yet. soon

#22 ·
Keep working at it; Shooter45's sticky on reliability tricks is invaluable. I believe the barrel throat is most likely your hang point.

techoca

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.