The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
This is quite common in tv shows. Not so much in movies.

Someone will be driving along, and someone else (sometimes a cop, sometimes a bad guy) will step out in the road and point a gun at the car.

Hmmmm. 124 grain bullet going 1100 fps, vs 28,000,000 grain automobile (that's 2 tons - 4000 pounds) going 60 fps (approximately 40mph). Who do you think will win?

Yet the driver always stops. If it's a bad guy, he steals the car. If it's a cop, he arrests the driver.

I watch that and think AIN'T NO WAY. I'd step on the gas. Blump blump.

Now, if it's a cop, I might go to jail. But I will win the gun-vs-car argument.

Would you stop?

·
Banned
1,909 Posts
No way I'd stop. Pedal to the metal and let the crook/cop decide what to do next.

Worst case scenario, the crook/cop steps to the driver side and shoots through the door as the vehicle passes

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Cops don't do that.

But your question is; presuming you THOUGHT it was a real cop, and assuming you thought there might be a reason he was pointing a gun at me or my car, I would probably stop to find out what was up, but I certainly wouldn't run over anyone who I thought was a real cop.

Bad guy, yes, cop, no.

Furthermore, to be afraid of being shot, I would have to assume that the shooter was a good shot, and could possibly shoot me through the glass, but then I would just have to duck and steer toward the shooter. My next concern of course, would be for the second bad guy to pop out and plug me as I roared past him.

Or that the second bad guy had a fast motorcycle that would soon overtake me. In which case I'd be afraid.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
If I know it's a cop, I'll stop. If I don't know it's a cop, or not, I keep going. Now, he just steeped out into the road in front of me. If it's daytime, I can see his/her car, and uniform. If it's at night, I can't see anything. And if I did see a badge, how do I know it's a cop? Anyone can buy a badge!

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
I can not imagine a scenario where a cop would be parked/hidden in the brush, day, or night, outside their car trying to stop traffic with a drawn gun. That just don't set well with me, nor does it make sense! Maybe I'm just nuts.

·
Premium Member
9,320 Posts
I can not imagine a scenario where a cop would be parked/hidden in the brush, day, or night, outside their car trying to stop traffic with a drawn gun. That just don't set well with me, nor does it make sense! Maybe I'm just nuts.
Correct and if it was a cop why would he have his gun drawn?.
Unless you match a car and/or person description That is suspected in a violent crime.
Mike

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
For me if it was a bad guy he gets one chance he had better make it count because my bullet is way bigger than his. If it was a cop & I hadn't done anything to have a gun pulled on me, he would get the same treatment but I would stop later & say I just couldn't stop. LOL

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Or that the second bad guy had a fast motorcycle that would soon overtake me. In which case I'd be afraid.
I'm pretty sure my car would take ito a motorcycle...

Nope I ain't stopping, cop or not. I might try to avoid a cop, but a BG? Not gonna worry about it. My gun shoots too... And my 6000 lb Tahoe will cream somebody at a decent speed. Then I'm on the horn with 911 after at least a mile, where I might stop and if it is a cop I'll wait patiently for them. But I don't see a cop outside of his vehicle standing in the road waiting for me.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Hit the gas, and let Karma run it's course.

·
Garandaholic
9,413 Posts
One of those questions that's easy to answer sitting in my warm house.
That being said, I'd like to think I'd still have some of the same sense that agrees with the OP. Mash the gas, duck down and hope he doesn't get a lucky shot.
Stopping doesn't guarantee he doesn't shoot you anyway. Probably guarantees he doesn't miss..

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,938 Posts
Good Morning All...These early morning hours spent reading and evaluating some
hypothetical circumstances, makes for a day of running thoughts thru your head ...kinda
like hearing an old song or melody and doing the same with it...Dang, in these long
years I've been driving and/or operating alls sorts of vehicles and prime movers have
never once been faced with a comparable scenerio....Farm tractors, government
vehicles, school buses in African nations, trucks and trailers with radiation signs and
colors...
Once in about 1965 I was a crew member a Navy radiation colored truck and
trailer up around where the Little Big Horn battle ground was located...A highway
patrolmen pulled us over...crew chief, Dick Miller was driving and we other 3 crew
members got out of the truck and listened to the LE fellow chew on Chief Miller.
Seeming about mid-way thru the a**-reaming, Dick tossed the truck keys to the
Cop and declared, "You've just been put in charge of this rig and all the stuff back there
in the trailer"......! Of course the cop 'back-watered' very rapidly and tossed the keys
back to old Dick and declared something about continuing to travel safely....kinda
stumbled back to his patrol rig...killed the flashing lights and took off...Hey, I know this old
navy tale has nothing to apply to those questions posed here...I've related this story
many times....on that same trip on that very hot afternoon, one of the CO2 fire
extinguishers we had on the back of the trucks cab, it's pressure lifted due to the heat...it
sounded much louder than a round leaving a mortar tube...all the 'sixes' there in the
cab tighted to the point you couldn't have forced a greased flax seed up them!!!
Kinda figured the cop had returned to vent some rage on us!!! Chief

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
I suppose you could say you just didn't see him & given the horrible condition of most of our roads & highways, simply thought it was another pot hole. Things happen mighty fast at eighty plus mph's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts