The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,355 Posts
If I knew it was a cop I would stop. If not I would hit the gas. If he got off a lucky shot and got me so be it. At least he would be going with me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't see whereas a cop or anyone else has a right to point a deadly weapon at me, so gas pedal it is.

·
Banned
13 Posts
have you ever seen what happens to cars that hit 200 lb animals? you can expect half of the man to come thru your windshield and your car to be ruined. MAYBE that will be the lesser of two evils, but dont "think" that it's just going to be a bump, cause you're badly mistaken

·
Registered
31 Posts
This thread made me remember some videos of police being swarmed by BLM/Antifa, and the police slowly pushed through crowds then quickly (but smoothly) accelerated, often times taking a few rioters along for a short ride on the outside of their patrol car (or underneath). Many were wondering why the police didn't 'floor it' from the beginning and crash through.
Answer: airbag deployment and vehicle disablement.
It's also why you see many people plowing through a crowd of violent protesters but stopping not too far down the road. It's (usually) not b/c they felt guilty or panicked, but the air bag safety systems in most new(er) cars completely disable the vehicle after a collision.
So, if you find yourself staring down a pack of violent looters (or hungry wolves/bears), it might not be the best thing to hit the gas, as most cars (foreign & domestic) may cut out after the first body; then, you'll be facing the 'peaceful protesters' / animals on foot. Scary to think about it....
Probably best to avoid if possible, or, at least slow down to a certain speed (10-15 mph??) if having to crash through a biological organism(s) for safety reasons.
Older vehicles (unsure about year) don't always disable engine/fuel system/computer/etc., but makes and models are different.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
This is quite common in tv shows. Not so much in movies.

Someone will be driving along, and someone else (sometimes a cop, sometimes a bad guy) will step out in the road and point a gun at the car.

Hmmmm. 124 grain bullet going 1100 fps, vs 28,000,000 grain automobile (that's 2 tons - 4000 pounds) going 60 fps (approximately 40mph). Who do you think will win?

Yet the driver always stops. If it's a bad guy, he steals the car. If it's a cop, he arrests the driver.

I watch that and think AIN'T NO WAY. I'd step on the gas. Blump blump.

Now, if it's a cop, I might go to jail. But I will win the gun-vs-car argument.

Would you stop?
A friend of mine who grew up in NY City told me, in NYC, if someone deliberately steps out in front of you, HIT THE GAS.

I only drove one time in NY City and couldn't get out of that zoo fast enough. I hope I never have to make a decision on what to do in that situation, but there are places where that is a tactic leaving you at the hands of a carjacker or killer.

I don't have my own opinion on this situation myself for here in the US, but either choice is not a good choice. So, do you go Rambo or Bambi in that situation? No good answer for that in the continental US. Now in a war zone, easy answer, hit the gas.

An aside, in the Philippines, I have heard that folks that hit someone must pay their medical costs. In addition, there have been times where the locals procure their own justice on the spot. My BIL told me it was not uncommon for a taxi to hit someone and they leave as fast as possible to avoid being killed by the locals. He further told me that the Buses were the most dangerous. He said that he has heard of bus drivers that hit someone, backs over them again to make sure they are dead to avoid paying medical bills.

We live in a dangerous world and getting more so all the time.

But I think the answer is, damned if you do, damned if you don't with this one.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I can not imagine a scenario where a cop would be parked/hidden in the brush, day, or night, outside their car trying to stop traffic with a drawn gun. That just don't set well with me, nor does it make sense! Maybe I'm just nuts.
Actually, I saw a MA state trooper in a speed trap set up where his partner was about half a mile back radioing in who to stop down the road. It was a busy morning rush hour traffic and the HUGE state trooper walked right into the traffic going about 30 mph and pointed and stopped a car. I thought that was either really brave or very foolish, but with him, I would have stopped and said yes sir officer, how can I help you. I mean BIG as in BIG.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Actually, I saw a MA state trooper in a speed trap set up where his partner was about half a mile back radioing in who to stop down the road. It was a busy morning rush hour traffic and the HUGE state trooper walked right into the traffic going about 30 mph and pointed and stopped a car. I thought that was either really brave or very foolish, but with him, I would have stopped and said yes sir officer, how can I help you. I mean BIG as in BIG.
Wow! BIG and STUPID! Risking his life for a speeding ticket? Must have been a supervisor looking to promote. Having seen first hand the outcome of car vrs. person, there is nothing which would get me to willingly step in front of a moving vehicle.
The situation given to start this thread is a no win for so many reasons. Put in the situation with no ability to back away, I think I'd try to avoid impact and escape. If it was LE then it was a really dumb one, and who knows what level the stupidity will rise to. Anyway you cut it, it's a split second decision which will change the rest of your life.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,266 Posts
My BIL told me it was not uncommon for a taxi to hit someone and they leave as fast as possible to avoid being killed by the locals.
That was the advice given to dad when he was driving across Pakistan and India. Just keep going to the nearest police station. There have been cases where someone throws a dead baby into a car's path, hoping to get compensation from the driver.

Dad was driving across Pakistan in 1975 and almost drove through a military check point. He slammed on the brakes and slid through the unlit chain across the road at night. The soldiers came out with their guns, dad turned on the interior light so they could see him, my brother and mom. The soldiers would not let them drive further because there were bandits in the hills. The troops invited them in for chai (tea). They stayed there overnight, and in the morning the soldiers gave them some food for the road.

We were in Cyprus a few years ago, driving just as it was getting dark, saw someone in the road with a dim red flashlight. I did a quick assessment; we had not heard of any particular problems with BG's stopping cars so we stopped. It was the local police just checking for drunk drivers. If we had not stopped he would have jumped, probably called for our arrest down the road.

While in Northern Ireland in 1981 during the troubles we were driving home one night and got stopped at a fairly well indicated military check point. They saw the registration on my car and just waved us through. Another punk another time was shot and killed because he didn't stop. Of course, the IRA could also set up a road block for a carjack to make your car into a carbomb. They would take a member of the driver's family hostage, and if the driver didn't get the bomb to the right place at the right time, wife, son, daughter dies. They gave him just enough time to get there and exit the car, maybe warn a few people.

So sometimes there is no choice.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If there was a cop car with lights I would probably start slowing down and stop but would be very leery
. But just someone in a uniform standing there with a gun and I dont see a cop car probably not . May not try running them over unless they start shooting then I would head toward them with it floored .

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Before the BLM/PC crowd got it canceled, there was an episode of LivePD Cam, where a Montana Trooper was chasing a violent felon. The perp slid to a stop broadside in the road, drivers side facing the pursuing trooper, and started to level his gun for a shot. The trooper hammered it and plowed him broadside, taking him out, saving the trooper and his partner from getting shot.
Coming up Hwy99 through Modesto in the 18wheeler, I had just spared the lives of 3 idiot drivers. The gangbanger on my left thought I had cut him off and reached across the car to point a pistol at me through the open window. I figured if I was going to be shot, I was taking him with me. Hammer down and went straight at him. Panicked, dropped the gun in the back seat to grab the wheel, and sped off. Almost got him too.
The CHP was about 100yrds behind me watching it happen, and took off after him. 2 or 3 exits down the road, the CHP was parked behind him on the off ramp, that had two more CHP cars roadblocking it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts