The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this for $197 including shipping and FFL transfer. I am thrilled since I had to sell my .303 back in 1986...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
NICE!!! I think you did well on that purchase.

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
Very nice MrSmith.

What arsenal and what model is that?

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's a 1945 Enfield No 4 Mk II :) Don't know what arsenal it was made in. It will only arrive late next week.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Fazakerly or BSA Shirley?

If that's THE rifle you bought you got lucky. Only the stock was cut down. Order you a used replacement and have a sweet original configuration brit battle rifle

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JLA - as soon as it gets here I will certainly let you know! What do I look for to determine the armory? The photo is of the actual rifle I bought. I think it's a 1953 rifle though, not a 1945 as the description listed it. One of the pics I have of it also show the serial number preceded by 7/53

·
Super Moderator
41,400 Posts
The armory where is was made should be on that metal band, right under the bolt handle, if I remember right.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks - I'll make sure I post some really good pics of it when it gets here. The FFL dealer I bought it from is only in Nevada. I just sent off the personal check for it and that will clear fast from Nevada to Idaho. I've already notified my receiving FFL - He gave me a scanned copy of his FFL license to e-mail when I make purchases.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
it is a july 1957 rifle. Most likely a Fazakerly. great rifles

I miss mine

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I'm going to enjoy it. I sure enjoyed the one I had years ago. I'll probably promote it to my main deer rifle rather than my 30/30. The .303 cartridge is a wonderfully powerful round also.

G

·
I had one that was short carbine config. I am not sure if it was factory or not but it looked like that just short. Oh and someone painted it ALL with ultra dark brown gloss house paint barrel, action stock everything was painted like a dark brown almost black color.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I saw the heading several times and passed by. I knew I would be envious. finally looked. Yep, I'm envious. Nice score.
As my old friend would say.....
You done good....:)

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Fazakerly or BSA Shirley?

If that's THE rifle you bought you got lucky. Only the stock was cut down. Order you a used replacement and have a sweet original configuration brit battle rifle
my thoughts exactly... buy new furniture and have an intact gun.

can probably re-list the sporter stock and sell to someone who wants to make a fancy huntin iron out of a nice old gun.

heck.. maybee find a 'bubba' to swap with.. send him your ready fit sporter huntin stock and get his long wood.

( that sounded a lil pg 13.. :) )

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
If I remember correctly, the No.4 MkII's trigger was pinned to the receiver, not the triggerguard as on the Mk.I and I*, which generally made for much more consistent performance - swelling and/or shrinking wood couldn't affect the trigger/sear engagement. Nice find. They're great rifles.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well guys - Now two days after buying this rifle I made a call to my local FFL about other items and casually mentioned that he will be receiving the rifle - then, after the phone call, since my wife heard it I simply casually mentioned that I had bought this rifle. We don't have a lot of income and I had to make sure I could pay for it before committing to buy it. My dear wife is not a great fan of guns - she does have her own Italian .25 but she doesn't like me to keep getting more guns.. Me though - yes I want more guns and more ammo and....

The discussion didn't go too badly. A wee bit of bitching from my darling wife then she said 'OK - Fine'. Now she knows and I'm not lying to her. So, bottom line, I get the rifle and get to keep it :)

Should be here next week and I will post pics!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
That's a good woman Will. My wife used to complain about my gun habits.. So I started a business, to make my own gun money so she wouldn't have anything to complain about. But she still does.. She just gives me that blank "WHY" look when I say check out what I just bought.. especially when I show her more than one in a weeks time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts