The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I am a long time FFL and collect Civil War, Indian wars, WW2 German....guns, photos, paperwork and such,
I also collect WW2 Walther PP 32's. My latest has got me stumped. It is Nazi proofed, Eagle over N...all that is correct. The Serial # on the right side of the grip is: 227566p.....cool....but on top of the ser. # is a "d" or a "p" which would face the trigger.
Does anyone out there know what that added letter means???
Thanks
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Hopefully Jim can come up with something, The mark was added after it left the factory, it was poorly struck and uses a different font. It may have been added later by a previous owner as a personal identification mark. I can find nothing in my references to cover it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks
The picture does not do it justice....the"P" OR "d" is professionally stamped but like you said not at the factory. I'll try to add another photo for a better angle.
Thanks very much
Gary

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Well, that picture does a better job of showing it. It does look professionally stamped. Still looking but still no ideal of it's significance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went thru all my WW2 German books on Walthers/Lugers/P38 et al.....struck out.
I agree...it is a professional Stamping. And looks like it my have been stamped during the war.
Thanks Jim
Gary

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Sorry, it doesn't indicate one million. Walther never came anywhere near the million number with the P suffix; production ended with about 397,000 P.

Jim

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
FWIW, the d or p was stamped after the gun was finished and blued, in other words, after the serial number and suffix letter. So it was probably an after-factory mark.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts