The Firearms Forum banner

WWII Captured Mauser Mod. HSc W/ Nazi Eagle L Marking

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  roundball 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new to the forum and I am looking for information on my fathers Mauser HSc Pistol that he brought back with him from WWII. I have searched the internet trying to date, verify and value it and since I'm not an expert on guns I am asking for your help. My father is a WWII veteran and brought this gun back with him from the war and has owned it ever since. He said he took the pistol off a officer that they captured and the officers name is written on the inside of the holster. Its hard to make out but the name looks to be Carl H. Gu...? (I can't make out the rest of the last name). Then there are #'s under his name starting with 33364...? (maybe someone can help read the name). I have great memories shooting this as a kid. I have read some info regarding these pistols online and I'm still not exactly sure where this one fits in. I have taken a number of detailed photos that I will attempt to upload for you experts. Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol
Metal
Finger Material property Hand Wood
Table Glasses Rim Metal
Racket Metal
Tire Auto part Wheel
Electronic device Technology Gadget
Handgun holster Leather Bicycle saddle Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol
Metal
Finger Material property Hand Wood
Table Glasses Rim Metal
Racket Metal
Tire Auto part Wheel
Electronic device Technology Gadget
Handgun holster Leather Bicycle saddle Gun accessory

See less See more
#4 ·
The holster is stamped P. Mod. 27 Dated 1942 - after doing a little more reaserch I'm guessing it is not the correct holster for the Mauser HSc pistol? Also it looks like this holster was originally tan/ brown color and was later made black? Under the belt holder its tan/ brown color. Here is a photo I found on the internet that is the exact same holster in the tan color with same stamped markings.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Hello Bill, I do not have the capture papers or at least I have not found them yet. My father passed away last year and I am still sorting out his things. He kept everything so I might get lucky and find the papers.

Thanks for the info regarding the holster. Do you think it would be good to find the correct HSc holster and sell or keep aside the CZ holster I have? Would this increase or decrease the value? I have uploaded a photo of a holster that I believe is the correct one for the HSc. Can you tell me if that is the correct one?

The additional things I have found is the "L" marking signifies that it is a Nazi Police pistol. There is also a loop hole in the base of the handle for a lanyard which I understand is only on this model.

A MAUSER HSc PRODUCTION HISTORY that contains serial numbers I found online says that my gun with the serial # 726 826 is Dated 1942 and falls between 749 270 to 809 671 and there were 7,300 units made for the Police.

Here is the link for serial # history for others in the future that are looking for information.

file:///C:/Users/Admin/Desktop/Mauser%20HSc/Mauser_HSc_Production.pdf

This is just additional information I have dug up from reading online so I'm not sure if this is totally correct as I am new to this.

Any help from other forum members is appreciated!

Attachments

#9 ·
Welcome from Florida. Have you tried contacting Mauser? They might be able to provide loads of information on this pistol and holster. Great pics. Thanks.
Hello and thanks for the reply! I found the Mauser homepage and it looks like they just make hunting riffles now. I will send an email to see if I get a response.

Thanks for sharing!
Now I know where the Russians got the idea for the Makarov.
Hi and glad to share a piece of history. I googled Makarov and see what you mean :)

#10 ·
You already have most of the information you seek, it does have police acceptance markings ( captured from a police officer after he had turned it in after the last shot in anger. :)) As noted it is not the correct holster. After the GI'S took their pick from the pile of weapons ( just before a Sherman Tank rolled over the pile to destroy them) the GI's rooted around for a holster to fit. They had no concept that there were specific holsters for specific guns , In their minds if it fit, it was the correct holster. This seemed to be a rather common occurrence with all the post and pictures we have seen. Even if it is not correct holster it has value, there are owners of CZ 24's that are looking every where for a holster to match their gun..

#11 ·
Text Product Font Line Screenshot
Grave Headstone Grass Grass family Groundcover
Text Product Font Line Screenshot
View attachment 100200 View attachment 100201 View attachment 100200

RJay thanks for the reply and conformation that I have already found the correct information. What I have found from the handwriting inside of the holster and help from my son with better vision is the correct spelling of the name inside. I also remember my dad telling me he acquired the holster from his buddy that wrote his name inside (Carl H. Guckes) who is also a WWII veteran. I googled his name and found that his army serial number matched the one written in the holster.

Unfortunately this site hasn't been much help and I found all the information from other forums. I will leave the information that I dug up here so it may help others in the future. The photos included of Carl H. Guckes grave stone who was my dads buddy in the war who wrote his name in the holster before my dad acquired it.

#12 ·
I have a Mauser HSc pistol much like you show in your pictures. The eagle N proof mark on the right side of the trigger guard and front of the slide in your pics also appears in the same locations on my pistol. My pistol contains the acceptance stamp eagle over 135 on the left side of the trigger guard where your pics show an eagle beside a L .
The sn on my gun is 829XXX, about 70,000 later than your sn number. A light brown leather holster and two magazines came with my piece . One mag. is stamped Mauser inside the banner while the other mag. is not stamped. These are neat little pistols and feel very good in the hand . Sure too bad this type pistol can't be made today without being cost prohibitive .
Several years ago I paid $175 for my HSc but today a going price for a nice HSc like ours most likely would be 4 or 5 times that much .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.