This WWII combat helmet was worn by a member of the Wehrmacht, or Nazi Germany Army, during the assault on Normandy. It is made of steel, missing 90% of its dark green paint, has a leather suspension system and the name of at least one wearer painted inside. Known as a Stahlhelm, or steel helmet, it was used by Germany Armies since WWI with only minor changes in design. Its main function was to protect the wearer from grenade shrapnel, but was almost useless against gunshots. The helmet was taken as a war trophy by Ensign. Walter Preston, a CEC officer assigned to the 106th Construction Battalion Detachment (106th CBD). 106th CBD served in the European Theatre. They specialized in assembling and handling pontoons, a critical element to the Normandy landings. The unit was deactivated and folded into the 126th Naval Construction Battalion in October 1944.