WWII GERMAN COMBAT HELMET.....

Discussion in 'The VMBB True Story Tellers' started by rooter, May 10, 2020.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

This WWII combat helmet was worn by a member of the Wehrmacht, or Nazi Germany Army, during the assault on Normandy. It is made of steel, missing 90% of its dark green paint, has a leather suspension system and the name of at least one wearer painted inside. Known as a Stahlhelm, or steel helmet, it was used by Germany Armies since WWI with only minor changes in design. Its main function was to protect the wearer from grenade shrapnel, but was almost useless against gunshots.
    The helmet was taken as a war trophy by Ensign. Walter Preston, a CEC officer assigned to the 106th Construction Battalion Detachment (106th CBD). 106th CBD served in the European Theatre. They specialized in assembling and handling pontoons, a critical element to the Normandy landings. The unit was deactivated and folded into the 126th Naval Construction Battalion in October 1944.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

You noted the minor changes and, they were. Mostly the WWI helmet was bigger and heavier, the bottom flare and "bill of the cap" were both larger.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Must have been a decent design. Out current combat helmets mimic the shape pretty closely.

The GI helmets we were issued in the 60s - 70s were very heavy and uncomfortable. Back in Basic Training in 1969 we wore those 'steel pots' while qualification firing. I found that firing the M14 that my steel pot rim tended to hammer down on the rear sight while firing. I only missed a couple of my targets - and those were the last of the targets I'd fired at. I scored 2nd highest in my BCT Battalion, but might have finished first if I'd had my helmet on tighter... (The guy who out-shot me was ex-Air Force and must have had his helmet liner/chin strap on tight!)

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It looks a lot like the one worn by Darth Vader. Maybe it's from the future?

howlnmad, jim brady and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A few years ago I was at a gun show with my son and his friend. His friend paid big bucks for one of these. Over $200. My sons friend didn't have much money and only had a part time job at the time.

howlnmad, jim brady and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  6. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wish my better half was here with her camera so I could show you a shot of the Irish Army helmet in our collection. It's a Model of 1927 made by Vickers, and is essentially a direct copy of the German M1916, though made of lower grade steel. I believe only 10,000 or so were manufactured. Take a look at the enclosed newspaper photo from back then - kinda weird seeing soldiers carrying SMLEs and wearing what for all the world look like German helmets. 9662c59dd94d131e4bd6814f1f7eae42--wwii-.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2020